Author Topic: Observations from a 'newbie'  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Observations from a 'newbie'
« on: December 20, 2014, 15:41:12 PM »
Although we have been holidaying here for 10 years (and have only lived here for a mere 7 weeks)
it never ceases to amaze me that :-

It would appear to be compulsory to drive whilst using a mobile phone.
And to have 3 under 7s unrestrained in the passenger foot well.
The 'news' of the dangers of smoking hasn't reached these shores yet !!
(It appears to be compulsory - a bit like UK in the 50s/60s.)

A 'Keep Turkey Tidy' campaign wouldn't go amiss either !!

Not complaining - just observations   :)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Observations from a 'newbie'
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 17:53:24 PM »
True.
How's the "living" compared to "holidaying" for you both - meeting expectations?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 18:11:30 PM »
A 'Keep Turkey Tidy' campaign wouldn't go amiss either !!
I've thought about this and think a TV ad could feature a Turkish family taking their car to wonderful beauty spot for a picnic. When they get home they tell their friends how wonderful it was. So their friends decide to visit ... and when they get there it looks like a rubbish tip - complete with plastic bags, food wrappings, plastic bottles, newspapers and soiled nappies. Just like the lovely beauty spot we revisited this summer.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 20:06:09 PM »
True.
How's the "living" compared to "holidaying" for you both - meeting expectations?

Absolutely loving it thanks Sue.
We've been really lucky - had a super 'temporary'  villa for the first 4 weeks but found a fabulous unfurnished 3 bed penthouse duplex in the upper reaches of Deliktas overlooking Fethiye (great views !) which we have just finished furnishing and equipping.
10 mins walk from town and on the Tasyaka dolmus route if we are laden with shopping (no car yippee - hate them !!!)
Never thought we would end up anywhere but our beloved Calis but it is soooo desolate out of season (even though we have been twice in March winter is no comparison) Can't believe how good the weather has been but am sure there is worse to come. Also can't quite believe how cheap it has been to 'set up' - would have cost 4 times in UK !!!!
The best part of retirement is that every minute of every day is yours to do what you want with - I heartily recommend it   :)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 20:17:21 PM »
With reference to litter, we were following two suited guys (in their late twenties I suppose) last summer, past the large Kipa near the hospital and they both threw their empty water bottles into the gutter within 10 paces of a dolmus shelter litter bin. Done with such impunity - so little respect for their beautiful country - WHY ????

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 22:43:01 PM »
I walk through the forest's around Hisaronu and you would have to see the litter to believe it.
Builders have reversed up in to the most awkward places to dump their rubble, the horse trekkers
have stop off points where they dump hundreds of empty water bottles. The launch pads on
Babadag are full of empty water bottles. It's disgusting.
The only bright spot for me was on one occasion watching the kids from Hisaronu School and
their teachers, each one with a bin bag, collecting litter. I don't know if it still happens but
that is the age to tell them the harm litter causes.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 17:28:13 PM »
Glad you are enjoying your new life in Turkey Kevin   :)I am with you on that one about cars cant wait for the day I never have to drive again but it is just not doable in the uk for me...
Re the litter problem I was on a dolmus a while back and it was the Huzer Evi one where the driver sits and waits for a while and his new route begins, we stopped off somewhere en route and he bought some food, while we were sat at old folks home driver ate his food and then when we headed off again we are driving along and he undoes the passenger window and chucks said finished food bag right out of the window!
It is suuuch a shame the litter problem also the council bin  near us had been gone through and most of the contents were strewn around the bin why oh why cant they at least put the stuff back in the bin after their rummages :(

Offline Menthol

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 22:15:51 PM »
The Keep Britain Tidy campaign had to run for several generations before it became socially unacceptable to drop litter. And unfortunately we all still see people do it, I'm sure, or at least see the litter after it has been carelessly discarded.

It's all about education. And it has to be hammered home so that it takes effect properly in (hopefully) about 20 years from now.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 05:13:42 AM »
Last year when I was in the UK I was surprised how much litter was strewn around especially in the countryside and along the side of roads which suggested people were just chucking it out of their cars.

I thought I was back in Turkey!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf