Author Topic: Thank you to an unknown Turkish family  (Read 4250 times)

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
Thank you to an unknown Turkish family
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
We went shopping ij Kipa in Fethiye this morning.

My wfe loaded the shopping into the car but left her handbag in the trolley. We were half way back to Kaya on the back road when she realised what she had done.

Mass panic set in because like most ladies she carries everything except the kitchen sink. There was only 30 lira in her purse but we were very worried as our passports and RP's were also there along with, credit cards, debit cards and driving license.

We went back to Kipa to find a Turkish family had handed it in and the contents were as she had left it.

We have been visiting Turkey for 14 years and love the place and the people, this confirms our faith in the Turkish people.

A very relieved DonM

Offline Lotty

Re: Thank you to an unknown Turkish family
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:54:16 PM »
This kind of honesty seems to be a wonderful and prevailing characteristic of the turkish people. I can feel your relief Don and Mrs Don. Losing bags or purses is an utter nightmare. Restores faith in human nature doesn't it?  :D ;D :D ;D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 15:40:58 PM »
Well said lotty - totally agreed.

Delighted for you DonM and your good lady.

Offline snowtop

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 18:12:04 PM »
I once left my HTC Pocket PC in Tansas.
When I got home I got a phone call from a Turkish man phoned me to say my phone had been found and if I went there now, there would be a man waiting outside for me.
When I got there, it was a painter and decorator who spoke no English.   He strong objected to the reward I insisted he took, but he finally gave in to my pressure.
I took his number to use him, however I lost it and would have liked to give him a job on my villa.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 20:02:20 PM »
I think this is lovely and restores my faith in human nature.
I lost my bag once, when I left it on the counter in M.&.S. Food Department in Kirkcaldy.  I remembered when I got to my car and ran back, only to find an elderly couple had handed it in.  I was so relieved.   I took their name and address and sent them a letter and some money in the post. 

Offline kevinartois

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 22:10:17 PM »
isnt this humanity definition compassion .understanding.tolerance.goodness which has become garbled by religion

Offline patrice

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:33:05 AM »
Two years ago I left my purse in a taxi and did not realise until the next day there was over £200 in the purse I had changed money up that evening. The  purse was returned to me with all its contents and the taxi company refused to take a reward  -Amazing people   :angel:

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 13:46:48 PM »
Four years ago we drove from the UK to Uzumlu via Istanbul in our pick-up truck. When looking for our hotel in Istanbul my wife got out to ask directions and unbeknown to us at the time dropped her bag containing 5000tl, £700, our passports, all our credit cards, driving licences and some other documents, we didn't know this until a while later.
Once we discovered the bag was missing, we asked a group of young men for further directions to a Polis station, one lad suggested we go to the hotel and get them to call the Polis for us.
He then squeezed into the front of the fully stacked truck and directed us about 3km to the hotel, got out, waved goodbye & walked back in the direction from which we had just come.
After lots of hunting around the area that we thought we had lost the bag, along with the Deputy Manager of the hotel who offered to accompany me (the Jandarma visited the hotel but didn't want to know) there followed calls to the Polis, long calls to the credit card companies & the British Embassy.
We had not prepaid the hotel but they offered to let us pay once we could get some emergency cash and said we could extend our stay if needed.
Late morning the following day, whilst using the hotel's office computer, phone, fax & printer, we were told that the Polis wanted to see me because our bag had been handed in.
Again another of the hotel staff accompanied me to act as interpreter.
When we got there the Polis Captain asked me to check inside - not a thing was missing, everything was there and didn't look like anything had been disturbed.
Absolutely Amazing!
I would like to think the same would happen in any country, but sadly I don't think it would.  8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 21:28:13 PM »
Not to dilute the original tale, but to enhance it, I could tell at least 20 similar stories. Video cameras, wallets, handbags, passports, all returned safely and intact to their owners.

Such a shame at the other end of the scale there are also those who lie in wait and at the opportune time take someone for every penny they have. :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf