Author Topic: Syrian Family in a dire condition this is really urgent.  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Syrian Family in a dire condition this is really urgent.
« on: February 27, 2015, 20:18:44 PM »
I have been asked by my friend Lynda Yilmaz to put this on C.B.F.  It is about a Syrian family found outside Fethiye with nothing.  She is asking if anyone can leave clothing etc., at her shop to help them.
This is the link from Facebook with a few posts she has put on.

Lynda Yilmaz

Friends in Fethiye, in case you didn't see my ex pat post. We are collecting, as a matter of urgency, stuff for a Syrian family currently living in a shell of a house in Tasyaka. I don't have full information yet because they don't speak Turkish. A friend of ours found them today living in a house with nothing. There are a mum and dad and 3 children (details of the kids later). They have no furniture, bedding, towels, kitchen stuff or food. The shop is a drop off point for the friend who found them. If you have anything at all (no perishable food, toiletries, cleaning stuff as well) and have time to come by the shop we will be open tonight until 9 pm ish and all day tomorrow. Closed on Sunday open again on Monday. It doesn't matter at this stage what condition anything is. This is extremely urgent. Actually, even a limited amount of perishable goods would feed them over the weekend. Fruit and veg for example, although they have no proper cooking facilities yet. This family is in DIRE need. Anything you can contribute would help them. Thanks. - Hippy Chick Jewellery, Sokak 97 - next to the Mulberry Tree Cafe in Fethiye Centre.
--------------------------------------------------

Lynda Yilmaz Ah! there are 5 children. !!!! As follows. Girl 12 years old Size 38 shoe. Girl, 8 years size 35 shoe, Girl 5 years shoe 32. Boy 6 years size 32. Baby boy 1 year 22 shoe. Oh oh oh! i have a buggy! ! i didn't know there was a baby. Mother size 40, she has no shoes. Father size 44 also have no shoes. So - anything you've got. people. Toys shoes, warm clothes. We have a range of sizes here. i don't suppose any of them are fat! My shop is open from 9.30 - 6 tomorrow.

Lynda Yilmaz Murat has collected the first lot of stuff tonight and they were so happy - lots of thanks and good vibes going out to all of you from this family. Tonight we sent several bags of staple dry goods and some warm a scarves. Shoes are desperately needed. I daresay socks wouldn't go amiss either. What a wonderful response. Keep that stuff coming people, it's a family of SEVEN not five and they are in desperate need.

Lynda Yilmaz I'm struggling to share all this stuff mainly because I can't remember what I've posted and where. Please feel free to share anything i post, so we can really get it out there. Thank you lovelies!

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: Syrian Family in a dire condition this is really urgent.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
This is so sad Jacqui. Hope the family get the help they so desparately need. Hard to imagine this level of need in this day and age.

Offline sadler

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
According to the fb info, they have been deluged with donated items of all sorts and will probably be able to help several other needy families. It is heartwarming to see how generous people can be to those in obvious need. Very very humbling.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 14:05:27 PM »
There was a steady stream of people dropping off stuff this morning when I was there.

Tonight they are going with a translator who can speak Arabic to find out more information about the family and their housing situation, how long they can stay etc.

Apparently someone has offered them the use of their villa for a year which is pretty cool.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 15:57:29 PM »
How and why did they manage to pick on, of all places, Fethiye ? From Syria to Fethiye is a long way, passing many, many other towns / villages, ......17 h 12 minutes, (1,376.6 km) via E90. Is it purely coincidental that the Fethiye area has the largest population of Ex-pat Brits, always regarded as a soft touch for anyone wishing to turn up on the doorstep ??
Be prepared for an invasion of Syrian, so-called refugees , who will very gladly descend upon the area VERY soon, on their way to Europe / U.K. !!

No apologies for this post by the way, here in the U.K., we are absolutely bloody inundated with immigrants, refugees, whatever one wishes to refer to them as, for ANY apology related to this subject !!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 16:59:23 PM »
I will always help the needy, but like Gordon i'm curious as to how a family of seven with no shoes and only speaking
Arabic find an empty house in Fethiye.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 17:50:44 PM »
This is the latest posting from Lynda on Facebook.

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! Firstly - No more things please. If you have stuff you have sorted out, please keep it for now. I have just come back from the family's house. It is now stuffed with things,. I must say, that normally hard as nail old boot that i am. I was fighting not to cry while I was there. The house is appalling. It is just two rooms, a tiny kitchen with no work top a sink and a toilet no bathroom. Plenty of running water though, leaks all over the place. They will struggle I think to sort out all the things you've given them. They will start tonight. The mum and dad were so grateful. The dad speaks some Turkish it seems he spoke more tonight, so interpreters were not necessary - he even understood my Turkish. The 12 year old can speak a little bit of Turkish. The baby is adorable. Toddling around with a big smile. The have a soba,so they are warm, but it is very dangerous because the room is so small and the place so cramped my heart was in my mouth every time the little ones passed it. The door has to be open because otherwise everyone would suffocate. The floors are all damp where water leaks in everywhere. The family appear to be perfectly legal, this will reassure those people for whom this appeared to be the burning issue. The father is waiting for his work permit and the paper work has been submitted for the school age children. Later we will need school supplies if anyone has them. The dad has been getting some work (building) and he says he is well paid, but the work is sporadic. They have electric and had saved the money to pay the bill. They came from somewhere outside of Damascus, near the Turkish borders and had tales of ISIS attacks and oppression. Anyone listening would have been touched by the stories, but the stories were simple and un elaborated, for those people for whom these things are important, the stories had the ring of truth. I wavered back and forth from fury and fighting back tears. They are paying 250 lira per month for this vile hovel and the biggest thing they need now is a new house. Murat has kept the money that was donated for now, so he can set up a sort of support fund until the father is working full time. If we can find a better house for them, we will somehow find the money to pay the extra rent from this fund. Some people have said to me, to Yakup and to Murat, why is everyone helping these people. There are plenty of Turks with no money and no shoes. This is true. But that is the thing about charity isn't it? it is the people standing before you that touch you the most. 5 children who have endured goodness knows what horrors fleeing ISIS and the fighting and leaving everything and everybody behind, Parents just trying, like we all do; to give their children the best they can. Your kind responses to the appeal have provided these people with things they couldn't hope to buy, like shoes and clothes and bedding. The father's meagre wages have so far provided the most basic foodstuffs, wood for the soba and savings for the electric. The children need fruit and vegetables and protein, they are all living on rice and pasta and bread at the moment. Although I am saying they don't need more stuff, they still need our support. There are thousands of people like them, but these are the ones standing before us. Sorry this is so long- the family send their love and thanks to everyone.

Offline apollo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf