Author Topic: rentals  (Read 6535 times)

Offline mog

• Newly Registered
rentals
« on: March 22, 2015, 16:33:28 PM »
I have recently read an artical in the Hurryiet Daily newspaper regarding a clampdown on foreign landlords and proprty rental. I wish i was able to copy and post the artical but no idea how, and it is a bit long winded. Apparently all foreign owners who rent out their properties MUST register with the tax office by 25th of this month and keep records.  Tax returns need to be submited.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: rentals
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 17:05:37 PM »
Nothing new there mog. If you're renting a property out you need to declare it for tax purposes whether in Turkey, the UK or anywhere else for that matter. I'm sure that landlords will be aware of it.

Offline mog

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 19:40:35 PM »
Absolutely agree KKOB.  As Baskan for our site for some years, i have been urging owners who rent out their properties, to register with the tax office, especially as we have already had several visits from the Maliye,  but i think this year it seems they may be having a purge.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:59:18 AM »
Yes they are planning a crack down on the rentals as they have had many complaints from hotel and pension owners.We heard that they are compiling lists of properties owned by foreigners and plan to check on them.When and how god only knows but one can assume it will involve someone knocking on front doors during the season and asking questions. Also they will check rental sites and companies who advertise properties for rent to gather info.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »
We had a tax inspector checking on people renting property a few years ago. It involved them knocking on doors, taking passport / kimlik details, which they could presumably run against the tapu details. They also were asking when you bought the property & how much you paid.

They did a wide cross section on the site, but not everyone & checks took about 10 mins to complete

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
Yes they are planning a crack down on the rentals as they have had many complaints from hotel and pension owners.

Actually, they do this throughout the year but at the start of every season we always hear "rumours" that the maliye are going to "crack down" on rentals.  I think they first started doing it about eight years or so ago and its not just holiday rentals they're interested in, its any form of rental.

We also hear, every year, that they are targeting foreigners - another myth.  In reality they target anyone they can prove is renting out a property without declaring the rental income - its actually easier for them to process and recover money from a Turk for this offence than a foreigner.

There is a certain element of the ex pat community who, I suspect, revel in finding something that proves the authorities hate foreigners and will try to "fleece" them at any opportunity and just love starting unsubstantiated rumours, or "facts" as they call them.  Well, there are elements of authority who do hate foreigners, but the fact is that they target them in far more subtle ways than the gin soaked, efes drinking bar monkeys (EPK's) could comprehend.

The bottom line is that if you rent out a property you are due to pay tax (above a certain threshold) on any rental income received.  Think of the inverse situation and how rags like the Daily Mail would headline it:

"Foreign landlords renting out thousands of properties and paying NO TAX on rents"

JF

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 15:38:38 PM »
Nail on head John F. I should have added in my previous post that there are a number of apartments being rented out by Turkish landlords on our site, a selection of them too were checked.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/13849-finance-minister-promises-tax-crack-summer-lets.html

This is the link for the recent statement about a crack down on renters. I think that seems to be more than a rumour.

Offline patrice

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
It would be helpful to know what information would be required by the Tax office when registering
I assume passport details etc;  of the people renting the property.
Can anyone please enlighten me.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/13849-finance-minister-promises-tax-crack-summer-lets.html

This is the link for the recent statement about a crack down on renters. I think that seems to be more than a rumour.

You didn't read my post properly, the Maliye do this all year round, not just during the season. 

They did have a "crack down" a good few years ago, this amounted to them shipping in fifty or sixty tax men from Ankara who wandered about the area like losts souls for a few weeks.  I had a very interesting chat with one of them at 3am outside Car Cem one night, the impression I got was that it was an experiment they were unlikely to repeat!

Fethiyetimes have highlighted one paragraph from an article about tackling the domestic grey economy, which curiously leads off about the fact Şimşek now has three kids, as per the little dictators advice. 

As an American novelist once said "journalism is just organised gossip".

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf