Author Topic: Honestly please!  (Read 17753 times)

Offline Chilliport

• Newly Registered
Re: Honestly please!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 20:18:51 PM »
Thanks all o far for your advice. All greatly appreciated and yes we would rent for some months. Don't think we could afford to buy there and keep our current home in UK though unfortunately!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 21:04:09 PM »
Rent for 6 months in Winter.  Also, there have been members on here who stayed at places in the Summer and love it, but bought and were here in Winter and could not get warm due to the house being a "holiday home" and not insulated or centrally heated for the Winter.  If you buy, you need an all the year around home, built to be warm in the Winter, particularly up in the mountains.  Good luck.

Offline lissa

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 21:19:26 PM »
Definitely spend a few winter months here, whether in Uzumlu, Calis, Fethiye or Ovacik. Much different out of season as lots of people have said! Can be absolutely beautiful though! I am surprised nobody from Uzumlu has commented on this post. Uzumlu would not be my choice of location but it certainly is for others, and yes there are places for sale there, but also Brits are moving from Ovacik and Calis. Heating is needed for all areas, certainly as the climate seems to be changing, thunderstorms as I write this which as far as I know, and I have been here for a number of years, is unheard of for days on end in September. Also, last winter was cold everywhere. Maybe not as cold or as long as in the UK, but houses in this area are not built for cold weather.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
Not a single word of advice or help from anyone living in Uzumlu from what I can see.

Thanks guys.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
They're too busy enjoying the land of the midnight sun, where you have rivers and streams flowing with milk and trees dripping with honey...... you have no need for more.  Except perhaps a quiz or two, PL football at the Winehouse, an occasional golf society bash, a weekly market with fresh trout, a good barbers who tempts you with the local wine (belesh) along with your shave, a nice pide salonu, excellent draught Tuborg at the kadianda restaurant (The Scout Hut) for only 8tl, that's a quick resume of some of the good things. On the downside there is the odd swindling local estate agent (yes watch out for them), and rogue and violent restaurateurs.

If we are going to get a direct response from Uzumlu I wonder if it will be on the good things I mention or on me raising the bad points again .... light blue touch paper and retire a safe distance.  ;) : :) : :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 08:15:33 AM »
Should not have mentioned that restaurant owner who chases after and beats up his customers.  I am sure he a reformed character now... More blue touch paper  :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Honestly please!
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »
We have friends who had a beautiful stone villa built a few years back. They lived there three years and loved it.

However when they decided to come home it took a long time to sell and I think they just about got back their investment.

It's a lovely spot in the summer months - a little far out and quiet - but winter up there will be cold.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »

Don't forget the mushroom festival. That time of the year when the population chase after static mushrooms.    :)

Offline Chilliport

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
Again thanks for further replies.  A bit concerned about the estate agent who is reputedly corrupt - which one is that please so we can avoid!!!

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
If you look back at my posts you will see what a shock it was when we moved in winter. Something to consider.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf