Author Topic: Syrian refugees in Dalaman  (Read 5272 times)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Syrian refugees in Dalaman
« on: January 02, 2016, 17:16:49 PM »
hi
as posted elsewhere on CBF there are some Syrian refugees in Dalaman.

Several people are now involved with transporting food and now were hoping to spend time with them playing games or doing art and craft type activities:

Dalaman Refuge Craft And Activity Project

To engage with the refugee families and their children, help them to find fun things to do and help them to learn through play

•NEEDED:

•caring people of a crafty nature with craft and play ideas, prepared to visit the Dalaman refuge in small groups as and when they can

•caring high energy people who would like to go and play ball games from time to time

•BUSINESSES in Fethiye, Ovacik, Uzumlu and Calis willing to be central collection points for activity related donations

•SPORTY fun items :
balls of all sizes
bats, rackets
rope to make skipping ropes

•CRAFTY things - anything that can stir the imagination that you may have around the house, beads, glue, string, shells, etc

plastic sheeting to sit on to do activities
crayons
paints
paper
wool
knitting needles
colouring books
jigsaws

•other ideas welcome please

please pm me or join the Dalaman Refugees - Let's get aid to them - FB Group and post there

Thank you.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Re: Syrian refugees in Dalaman
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »
 I'm going to the camp today with Nichola and some others, food, nappies, etc collected as a result of the generosity of local people, has been sorted into parcels for the individual families and will be delivered today.
Nichola is off to sort out some sobas.
I'm nervous about today, I know it's going to be incredibly sad, especially as it's been so wet, it will be very cold and muddy there today, can't believe people are living like this in make shift plastic coverings in this day and age.

I shall be looking at the children's ages and thinking of suitable activities that cross the language barrier.
So far over 10 people have said they would like to help with the play, art and craft project, but sadly only one person has donated any items, things her daughter no longer plays with.
I think we have pledges for $200 and a payment of £30  so far, so we will be able to buy a few bits, but it won't stretch far between 50 children.

Please everyone, have a look in your cupboards, everyone must have pens and paper at the very least.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 15:42:11 PM »
Hi Linda,

We visited the refugee camp with Nichola before Christmas. It was heart breaking to see the conditions that the families were living in. We took food, sweets and fruit for the children and a couple of footballs provided by Nichola. I kicked the foot ball around with the boys for 15 minutes and they really enjoyed it. I suffered next day though.

We would like to help but at our age we  found  we could not cope with it very well. It was a long day and we were exhausted when we got back.

We have decided that the only way we can help now is  finically. We would like to donate TL200 for your craft appeal. We don't have a paypal account but we could meet up in Fethiye and have a coffee together. We are free most days.

Don

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 18:58:22 PM »
That's fantastic Don and Maureen. Thank you very much.

Linda is doing a fabulous job leading on the children's play and activities project and it's great to have so many volunteers signing up to be involved.

The children had an absolutely brilliant time today with Linda's husband John playing choo choo train and leading them around the camp as the children hung off his brand new t shirt which I believe is now a little worse for wear. The girls particularly enjoyed when he got hands on with washing some clothes and it all cumulated in a massive game of footie with many of the older lads joining in too.

It doesn't take much to make a difference to the lives of these forgotten children and I'm looking forward to seeing them have much more fun in the weeks and months to come.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 20:35:53 PM »
Wonderful donation, Don and Maureen - thank you!

John was wonderful today, made the children very happy with the daft games - they will remember you, John.

It's hard to think about today without getting tearful.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:22:19 AM »
Don't that's wonderful. Thank you so much. I'm going into Fethiye on Monday to meet the new Race for Life Committee and handover info about website, social media accounts etc. ( thought you would be pleased to know its all developing!)
That's at 2.
Would the timing be right to meet beforehand?
I will be in town from about 11 onwards as have to go to the bank etc.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »
That's great, any time or place will be convenient for us.   :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »
I will pm you Don

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf