Author Topic: Perhaps you will now have trouble seeing at Dalaman.  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Perhaps you will now have trouble seeing at Dalaman.
« on: June 18, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
New measures (to us)  in place when you arrive with your luggage at Dalaman on your return flight. On entering and placing luggage on the belts with your watch, iPad, kindle etc., you are now asked to removed your glasses and take out your wallet and put them in both in the tray.  I saw a few people struggling without their glasses as they passed through to get their luggage at the other side.
I think a good idea would be to bring a glasses case to put you specs in, then you can easily find them in the tray on the other side. 
Also, at the final desk where you show you passport and boarding card before you walk down to the plane. They are picking people out for random searches, so after you  have showed passport and boarding cards, there is a table set aside.  They are really giving these unfortunate people the once over, making them open hand luggage and then the officials going through it with sensors.

However, once at Manchester Airport they have scanners for your passport, so glass door opens, you walk in and put your passport into a recess on the counter then you get your picture taken and remove your passport and another glass door opens.  New to us, because Aberdeen Airport still runs on steam and oil lamps.  However, there is one fault in this procedure.  People are asked to remove their glasses before they enter.
My husband, whose eyesight is not good without his glasses, struggled to find the recess to put his passport in, he was not the only one.  I think the concept of wearing glasses means your eyesight is not good, so how do the Authorities expect you to see how to place the passport into the recess?

Offline marina

Re: Perhaps you will now have trouble seeing at Dalaman.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »
We had to have new passports before going to New Zealand last year. Apparently you are not allowed to have a photo taken now wearing glasses, depite the fact that I wear them all the time! However, despite passing through about 7 different major international airports the only one where I was asked to remove them was on returning to Manchester! They all used the scanning procedure one way or another!  Welcome home  :o

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
We were both asked to remove our glasses on our return to Edinburgh airport earlier this month but had no problems at Dalaman.
We have always had to put wallets etc into the tray so I don't think this is a new thing

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 10:47:54 AM »
Hi Marina,
The ruling is you can wear glasses for the new passport.  This is as long as your eyes are totally visable and not obstructed by the glasses.  I just had a new passport and looked this up online.  I got my passport photo's taken at a local Photographer, who also a a copy of the rules and confirmed to me that you can wear glasses. I sent off my photographs and got my new passport without a problem.
I never recall being told to put a wallets in the tray and we never have. 
Here are the rules, which state you can wear glasses.
https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirements

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 13:09:35 PM »

When you've finished a holiday in Turkey you have no need for a wallet.     ;)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 14:07:37 PM »
Hi Marina,
The ruling is you can wear glasses for the new passport.  This is as long as your eyes are totally visable and not obstructed by the glasses. 

My last passport renewal was towards 5 years ago, & according to the forms, you COULD wear glasses on the photo, so long as your eyes were totally visible. I did check & send at the local PO, as I was very short of time & didn't want any delay. The "ninja" in the PO told me I couldn't wear glasses on a passport photo & sent me away to get new photos done before she would sign the forms  >:( :o

Offline marina

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 14:41:31 PM »
Liz101, it could have been someone at our Post Office who told me the same thing but I really can't remember now who told me, or if I read it somewhere.  It's only about 18 months ago since we renewed them so don't know if the rules have changed at all.  But in the time since then  Manchester is the one and only place where I've been told to take my glasses off despite me not wearing them in my passport photo! I definitely wasn't asked to when we flew out of Dalaman in May, though the watches and wallets in the tray isn't a new thing, we've had to do that before. 

Offline Christie

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 15:45:31 PM »
We have encountered the 'additional' search at the boarding gate just before boarding for the past two years, it is mostly for laptops/tablets/phones etc. but obviously this results in just a few people from the entire flight having their bags searched. 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 18:12:53 PM »
Marina, Phil renewed his passport two years ago and he was told he had to take off his glasses by the woman who worked in the Chemists where the Photo booth was.  She told him no glasses and don't smile. So when I renewed mine I rang the Photographer to make an appointment and mentioned the fact I would have to take off my glasses.  He was the one that told me I did not have and he told me the Government website to go and look at. 
If it had not been for him.  I would have been getting a photo without my glasses too.

Offline marina

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 20:07:01 PM »
Jacqui, it sounds like it's a case of who you talk to regarding passport photos.  It's a bit ridiculous really when you think about it!  I don't have a problem with anything that ensures our safety and security but a bit of consistency would be good!   

And only another 8 and a half years and I can have a new one!   : :)  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf