Author Topic: When was Calis a Swamp??  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
When was Calis a Swamp??
« on: July 06, 2017, 15:00:58 PM »
A lady on T.A is considering going to Calis alone and asked about it.  There is a post from another lady running down Calis and saying she remembers when it was a swamp.   I am just wondering when Calis was a swamp??
This is the posting.
-------------------------
I go by myself to Dalyan a few times a year and met a lot of single people and done a few of volkans trips. Been all over turkey alone and the only ace I felt uncomfortable was calis... Just man made and very bits aboard. First went there when it was swampland and it hasn't improved. Imo

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: When was Calis a Swamp??
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 17:42:16 PM »
Thanks but there is no date, does anyone know what the date was.  I am surprised anyone would remember it.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 18:24:53 PM »
I can remember it being a bit of a swamp in the early 90,s. We came on holiday to Ovacik on our first visit and that was nowhere near as built up as it is now either. There were huge bulrushes in Calis and the odd building dotted about, we never really stayed there to look around much as there was nothing much there then. There were a lot more German people about then too, I remember going to Olu Deniz and they were in caravans down there. When we started looking around for a place to buy we were told Calis was unhealthy because of the dampness at night but once the place started to develop there was one particular year , about 2005 I think but may be mistaken on that, when all the roads were dug up and more drainage put in . The heat in Calis was very intense as well during the heat of the day but I think that is what attracted a lot of those who enjoy a good roast in the sun. I would agree with the lady that the origins of Calis were rather swamp like but it was always popular with some people. It really depends on the type of landscape and climate that attracts you to a place I think. The area around Fethiye has changed enormously since the 90,s, all of it. There was also a small railway ran to Calis at one time for the industry that used to happen there. Some sort of metal production I think it was, I saw a photo of it once. It has developed to cater for the tastes of people who use it, I think the Turkish people love a night out there myself . British people may own a lot of property there but that is what the Estate Agents were always promoting.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 18:41:11 PM by Fabian »

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 19:01:26 PM »
Zinny who owns Bella Mamas used to own a place called the Rovers Return in the 90,s in Ovacik and Azenar was working for him there and the place was tremendously popular. It has been interesting to see how the businesses have fared over the years. The couple who own the Rhapsody in |Kaya had a lovely little place to eat in Ovacik in those days too.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 21:21:14 PM »
Mick scarsbrook mentions the railway in part 2 around 6min 52 , always enjoy watching these videos.

https://youtu.be/02MV6kQsgrY

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 22:33:40 PM »
Thanks for all the information.  ;D  ;)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 23:49:39 PM »

In late 2014 I posted a black and white photo taken of Fethiye  (Makri )  1895. It shows the town as about half a mile square,

there are some buildings in the right side background and that's it. !! There is nothing in the background where the Tuesday

Market and Esnaf are, and to the left it looks like swamp, with a smoking fire burning in the middle of it. The original picture

is hanging upstairs in the Hisaronu Council offices.Where the Marina is now looks like swamp/wasteland in the foreground.   

Fantastic picture.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 23:56:08 PM »

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 00:33:00 AM »
April 24th 1957 great big earthquake demolished or damaged 90 percent of the buildings in the area. A warship of the British Mediterranean Fleet delivered 2,000 blankets,500 tents, medicine and food to the victims and luckily there were only about 19 deaths because the district governor Nazif Okus evacuated the town quickly.
I remember coming up to Calis and all I saw was an area that reminded me of the story of Moses in the bulrushes. I did not say it was unpleasant,  it was undeveloped, flat and hot with little riverlets with bulrushes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf