Author Topic: Holiday money  (Read 8508 times)

Offline Loujasmin

• Newly Registered
Holiday money
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
Good morning,
We arrive in Turkey 5th August, we are undecided what to do regarding exchanging money, should we get it here or wait and get £ changed to tL once we arrive, any help and advice on this matter including where best to exchange in and around Caliswould be most gratefully received.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Holiday money
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
You will get a better rate in Turkey than the UK.

Members will correctly tell you that it is illegal to change money other than at Official Changes Shops or Banks which is true but you would get a better rate elsewhere albeit it for example 4.40 as opposed to 4.30 legally.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:02:06 AM »
The standard advice is that the rate will always be better in Turkey - unless the £ collapses/TL booms in the meanwhile. You get a better rate than exchanging money by using a card at an ATM BUT it has to be the right card. Unless you chose your account specifically because it has good international rates then you are most likely to have the wrong card. Check if your card is any good here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards#checker

Offline Loujasmin

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Thanks Highlander, is it 'common practice' to change money at these 'other non legal places'?

Offline Loujasmin

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »
Thanks Colwyn, it seems I have a debit card from hell! which is nice  :o

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
Pity. And there isn't really enough time to get a new card in time for Aug 5th. Perhaps something to think about for next year?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
If you use the Official Change Office in Calis Beach ask Alper for their best rate, you will always get more than what is advertised on the board outside.
Martin Lewis has  been banging on about Credit Cards from Hell for years now, on the "This Morning" Programme, on his own programme on consumer programmes both on T.V and radio.  He gives good advice and his website is excellent to read so you get the best deal.
We knew about 5 years ago when I read his website that we had cards  from hell.  We applied for cards that were not from hell, so it is thanks to him we now have cards from heaven.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »
Jacqui - I have to say that annoys me.

In my opinion Alper should advertise his best rated on the board. Why should he take more money from people who don't know to ask.

If I go into a restaurant that has advertised a steak at 40 tl I don't ask the waiter what their "best price"

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
Personally, I can't be bothered to comb the town to get a slightly better rate, especially in this heat. If I was changing thousands of £, maybe that would be different, but say you change £100 & one rate is 0.01 better than down the road, it'll mean you get a whole 1tl extra - hardly life changing   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 11:08:22 AM »
H, you'll have to pay him a visit, ask for his "best rate", then ask him to improve on it, carry on haggling for a while, and then agree the price ... and change £10. That'll teach him!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf