Author Topic: Prince William & Meghan  (Read 11929 times)

Offline marina

Re: Prince William & Meghan
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 22:29:51 PM »
I don't consider myself to be a royalist and I wasn't a Diana fan by any means, in fact I was appalled at the way the massed crowds acted, as if they'd lost a close friend when really they didn't know her at all. However, those two young boys lost a much loved and clearly devoted mother that day and have had to mourn that loss in the public eye for 20 years. Royal or not that can't have been easy.
William seems to be happy and settled with Kate and their young, growing, family. I hope Harry has found someone he can now settle down with and find the same happiness.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 22:37:05 PM »
He seems a good guy so I hope all works out well for them  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 22:40:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong, he comes across as a decent lad and I wish him and his prospective wife all the best, the same as I'd do for any young couple. But let's reel in the sycophancy etc, they'll never struggle due to his birthright...

Met his (alleged) dad a few times, chip of the old block or what!

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 23:04:49 PM »
JohnF

Please explain why it is that every time I express my admiration for an individual, you accuse me of sycophancy.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 23:07:09 PM »
Go Meghan and Harry   :)

I rest my case...

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 23:18:25 PM »
JohnF

the definition of sycophant/sycophancy I googled was.....(of a person or of behaviour) praising people in authority in a way that is not sincere, usually in order to get some advantage from them.

So please explain why you have the right to assert that my genuine admiration for Prince Harry is 1) not sincere and 2) what advantage I am expected from him

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 23:27:35 PM »
   If we ditch the Royals and opt for a Presidential system who shall we use for a model.?

Gaddafi

Saddam

Assad

Putin

Erdogan

Trump

Mugabe

I'll stick with the Royals thank you, faults and all,         i'll pass on President Corbyn.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 23:54:33 PM »
I much prefer my Google result:

Sycophancy is flattery that is very obedient, or an indication of deference to another, to an excessive or servile degree. Sycophancy is also the fawning behavior of a sycophant; servile flattery. A user of sycophancy, is referred to as a sycophant. The word sycophant has its origin in the legal system of Classical Athens.

If we ditch the Royals and opt for a Presidential system who shall we use for a model.?

Interesting question Kev that maybe deserves a topic all to itself.

You mention two of the (in recent times) Wests bogeymen, Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein, however since they were over thrown/deposed their respective countries have been in turmoil with countless deaths through terrorism/nationalism/anythingism.  So many folks have come out and said they preferred they devil they knew rather than state their countries are in now. Its sleepy o'clock for me right now but if anyone wants references or quotes I can add them tomorrow.

The wee fella is a democratically elected prez.  I wouldn't vote for him, but a lot of Turks did.

Every Russian I've met (OK, three or four) reckons the even wee'er fella is the man.

I'll give you Trump and Assad, but turn the clock back a few years and that famous Yorkshire politician Ebagum was the flavour of the month until he had a reverse in both his politics and name.

The royals?  I think I much prefer that famous TV family to the Germanic custodians of the English throne.

JF

Offline busybee

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 06:03:32 AM »
Well I for one wish them all the luck on their future together.  Megan is confident, articulate, intelligent lady, who has been involved in many charitable projects.  She has bought modernism one step further into the Royal Family, (a few years ago they would have balked at Harry's choice). She is a working actress and is proud of her multi race heritage .  Harry cant help his birthright.  I am sure if we were born with a silver shovel in our mouths we would be off round the world helping others. Together I think they will do good things. Everyday we hear about mindless a-z celebs getting engaged or married, which is of no interest whatsover to me, so dont understand why so many people are against their announcement. I suppose you are either a Royalist or not..............

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
Well I for one wish them all the luck on their future together. 
As do I, as I said previously in this topic.
I suppose you are either a Royalist or not..............
As someone with Irish catholic roots, I suppose you could put me in the "not" camp.  Incidentally, I believe it was only last year that the law (or a rule?) was changed to allow a member of the royal family to marry a catholic...
JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf