Author Topic: "Old" Calis  (Read 8943 times)

Offline OldSerkul1Girl

• Newly Registered
Re: "Old" Calis
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
Hi ally b do you remember the black cadilacs with the police in cruising the beach road chasing the kids selling drinks and cakes we used to sit and watch the antics all day long and every now and tthen the sellers would come and hide by your sunbed or should i say wooden rack so the police wouldnt get them .

I love this   :) Little anecdotes like this are brilliant. I might use this for a bit of background in the book. I am pretty sure my husband would have tried to do something like this at that age  ;)

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
Who remembers the policeman stood on a soap box, directing the traffic where the old Dolphin roundabout was/is  ;D ;D   

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »
The wooden ‘Wendy House’ police post at the bridge opposite the water taxi station.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
Old Calis Bridge

Offline gyr

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 13:25:29 PM »
We had a friend who was on the first charter flight to Dalaman, I thought she said it was 1986 but according to Wikipedia Dalaman was only upgraded from an 'aerodrome' to an 'airport' in 1989, so maybe it was then.

They had a civic reception at Dalaman to welcome the new tourists

She said they stayed at the Ece Saray, but I'm not sure if I recognise it

The beach at Olu Deniz was slightly different in those days

But the sights of Fethiye were just as interesting

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 14:48:35 PM »
Great post gyr - thanks for sharing.  :)

Offline marina

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 16:10:53 PM »
What great posts! We've only been coming to Calis since 2002 so don't remember most of these. It's lovely to hear about and see people's memories from before then.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 17:22:04 PM »
Going back even further, to the late 1950s (no not me) - here is a story I posted years ago about the early days of tourism locally - hope you enjoy it as I did:

I was visiting my dear friend Birol, and a gentleman of some years was there, telling stories in Turkish that were obviously being enjoyed very much by the gents around the table. They later translated his "Turkish Tales" to me.

This gentleman was instrumental in setting up the first ever tourism/promotion company for Fethiye, way back in 1959.

The idea was met with some suspicion at first, people really couldn't grasp what he was trying to do, and why he would be doing it at all. He recalled that once people started to visit the area, and spending their money in town, they were very much won over.

He travelled to one of the biggest tour operators in Germany, armed with everything one might need - information, photographs, leaflets etc. - and spoke warmly of Fethiye, its history, beaches, beauty. The tour operators were obviously quite taken by his presentation, they thought it sounded like the sort of place Germans would like to visit and experience.

"How many hotels are there in Fethiye?"

"None"

"How close is it to the airport?"

"There is no airport"

Somewhat downtrodden but refusing to be beaten, he decided to travel to Rhodes to look for tourists. A boat was put on, and the first trip was very popular.

A coach took the visitors to Olu Deniz beach in the morning, where the Greek visitors enjoyed a cool drink under parasols. The beach at Calis was the next port of call for the afternoon.

The key to the success of the day was in the timing. The coach took a "scenic route" from Olu Deniz to Calis Beach, allowing just enough time to load all the parasols onto a truck, fly down to Calis and put them up again.

Offline marina

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 17:57:02 PM »
Brilliant!  ;D

Offline lissa

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 19:59:12 PM »
I remember the aerodrome and then being very impressed with the new airport, must have been around 1989. Ecesaray was created from the old Likya hotel, they had a disco in a small separate building there. Pizza 74 was on the corner of Paspatur where the small general store is situated opposite Tunc leather.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf