Author Topic: Best Restaurants by Type  (Read 9839 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 15:32:20 PM »
Anne - Dogan says there was a Birlik near the restaurant a few years ago and he thinks they closed - not moved.

The Birlik I like has been a couple of doors up from the cinema as long as I can remember. I go in quite often when I am in town even when I am on my own but its not really a place you would want to linger - it's more of an eat and go place. It is extraordinarily cheap and I particularly like their Moussaka with minced meat and aubergine (plus other veg) because it is extremely tasty - Sahil also do a very nice moussaka too.

Generally I find in other Lokantas I have tried moussaka that it can be a bit tasteless and I use this is my benchmark for rating a Birlik.

My Birlik also sometimes have a mushroom 'mantar' meal which is also really tasty as are their Kofte... and I could go on.

It used to be extremely popular with the students at lunch time but these I notice now tend to frequent MacDonalds.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 15:49:40 PM by nichola »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 15:56:06 PM »
The one Anne refers to was at a far corner of the right hand side block of the road opposite the PTT - and it was legendary, Fethiye will be a poorer place without it - although I seem to recall it opening close to the Akarca roundabout - maybe all these Birliks are unrelated and it's just a very popular name for a restaurant. The other Birlik is easiest found if you were walking along the sea (Yakamoz) road, where you would turn left for the Tuesday market turn right instead (so just after the sea ends to your right) and you cross a small car park diagonally, turning left when you reach the far left corner of the car park. You are in a street now, walk up and on the corner facing you is another Birlik. Possibly.

There was also a Birlik on Koca Calis Beach of course - that was good too

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 16:08:38 PM »
There are Birliks everywhere - it literally means a lira's worth (food for a lira) although these days it should be be more like 4-8 lira's worth.

At the market if you don't want the full kilo of something and say a kilo is going to cost 4 lira you can say bir lira lik - one lira's worth.

Anyway, the place on the end is still there - they get a little fancier every year upgraded all their chairs last year and introduced one of those "how to have a bad hair day" mist things. I have noticed they are pretty popular in the summer. It's exactly on the corner opposite the PTT so I think this is the one you mean Keith.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 16:52:01 PM »
Not been out for two years now but if I remember correctly:

1. Chinese - Probably Serkul
2. Indian - not had one in Turkey
3. Lokanta/kebap/economy Turkish - Ciftlik Pide Cafe
4. Best Turkish - Probably the Birlik , Koca Calis in it's heyday
5. Best steak - best was probably La Terrace but as that's gone a good second was Bella Mamas (but I have had a ropey one there as well - bit hit and miss really)
6. Italian - Bella Mamas
7. Seafood - don't really eat it that much in Turkey but the few times I have I would choose the fish market.
8. Money no object - Not a clue.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 16:53:29 PM by stoop »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 18:45:13 PM »
Seems to me that some industrious Turkish person should think about opening a good Indian Restaurant in Calis.  I love Indian food, eat it and cook it a lot, but never tried it in Turkey.

Offline june

Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 21:29:08 PM »
1...  Serkul 2

2... Shine

3.....Most lokanta's are brill

4.....Mozaik Bahce...without a doubt...amazing food every time....

5...... Dont do steak......beef ..yuk

6.... Italian...Bella Mamma every time..

7..... Fish market ....veggie part...rukiye...her and her dad amazing...apart from the toilets :-) ;-(

8.... Will never be in this position....but really wish I was.....!! xxxxxxxx

Offline joannasal

Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 09:02:41 AM »
1. Dragonara (Hisaronu)
2. Curry Palace (Hisaronu)
3. Seckin or the one at main Calis traffic lights, on the corner, same side as Pelin Hotel!
4. Seckin
5. Kings Garden
6. Never had
7. My house
8.  :) would like to try Kizilada

Also love Sat, but was not sure which catergory it would fit in to!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:03:54 AM by joannasal »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
And the scores from the Pookie household are:

1.  Dragonaro  (Hissy)  without doubt the yummiest
2.  Never had whilst in Turkey
3.  Megri or Pasa
4.  Mosaik  (where else ?!)
5.  all a bit hit and miss but the best we've had was at SunDial
6.  Bella Mammas
7.  Sorry, don't know the name of it, but not calis, its in Gocek and right on the harbour.  mmmmmm
8.  Not huge wealth needed, but something special  The Aubergine in Kalkan.  Worth the trip.  

[^][^]

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
It's not the one on the corner Nicola.  
The one I meant was where the pizza place is now.  It's such a shame it's not there not as it was fab for a quick lunch.

quote:
Originally posted by nichola

There are Birliks everywhere - it literally means a lira's worth (food for a lira) although these days it should be be more like 4-8 lira's worth.

At the market if you don't want the full kilo of something and say a kilo is going to cost 4 lira you can say bir lira lik - one lira's worth.

Anyway, the place on the end is still there - they get a little fancier every year upgraded all their chairs last year and introduced one of those "how to have a bad hair day" mist things. I have noticed they are pretty popular in the summer. It's exactly on the corner opposite the PTT so I think this is the one you mean Keith.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Best Restaurants by Type
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
Anne - Dogan remembers the Birlik that was there before the Pizza place but says he doesn't know if they moved or just closed, sorry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf