Author Topic: Buying in village or rural areas  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Rose-333

• Newly Registered
Buying in village or rural areas
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
Hello to everyone. I hope this is the right place to pick your brains and knowledge of the area.

I'm a single woman who is looking to buy a little house in the villages or rural areas around Fethiye. I'm not particularly bothered about the beach and have always preferred the woods to the sea, but I don't want to live like a hermit, I would need some neighbours within walking distance and somewhere with a sense of community. I lived in Istanbul for some years in the 1990s and speak Turkish and know the culture. I wonder if you could recommend some villages or hamlets surrounding Fethiye where I can buy somewhere which has a garden or where I can create a garden to grow my own food and keep some poultry. This is very important to me since I would like this to become my permanent home. I have a small budget unfortunately which I suspect will only be enough for either some very out of the way hamlets or somewhere needing a lot of work. I'm making plans to walk part of the Lycian Way in September and would love to take the opportunity to visit some of the places you recommend here.
Thanking you very much for your advice.
Rose

Offline scorcher

Re: Buying in village or rural areas
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
Uzumlu -lovely village and fulfils your wish list.

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »
Ciftlik, is a lovely village which quite a few smallholdings and farms that quite often come up for sale, Kemer is another lovely village too

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 15:10:08 PM »
Also look at Karaculha and then slightly further out to Esenkoy - both excellent transport links into Fethiye and Esenkoy is a little more rural - without going too far out   :)

Offline Rose-333

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 16:45:52 PM »
Thank you for your lovely suggestions. Initially I started looking at villages bordering the Lycian Way such as Bezirgan and Saribelen nearer to Kalkan but they all seem to be a bit pricey now. And also it's very difficult to find many houses with their own plots since i'm not looking for a site or a daire. But I shall definitely look at the villages suggested   :) Any more certainly welcome.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 17:04:16 PM »
Are you sure you want to jump straight in and buy a place ? I think you'd be far wiser to rent for at least the first 12 months. For starters, it's a lot different in the Fethiye area weather wise than in Istanbul.

Whether renting or buying, most coastal properties are likely to be more expensive than those a few miles inland.

Offline Rose-333

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 17:29:50 PM »
Are you sure you want to jump straight in and buy a place ? I think you'd be far wiser to rent for at least the first 12 months. For starters, it's a lot different in the Fethiye area weather wise than in Istanbul.

Whether renting or buying, most coastal properties are likely to be more expensive than those a few miles inland.

Thank you. Initially I just want to pinpoint some potential locations and then take it from there. I probably will end up renting for a while at first. I did travel round Turkey quite extensively when I was living there but obviously very much as a tourist.

Offline TOSH TOSH

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 18:34:00 PM »
Hi Rose, Koca Calis area is very nice and there are some nice Sitesi`s around there.  :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 19:02:25 PM »
You also need to be a little careful, there are rural areas non-nationals can't buy in. Well there always was. Maybe things have changed, who knows. Certainly not me :D

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 22:08:10 PM »
Renting initially is a wise move.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf