Author Topic: A Fez of the Heart  (Read 1636 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A Fez of the Heart
« on: August 04, 2009, 16:37:16 PM »
Anybody who hasn't read this book should do so, it's a light hearted look at modern day history in Turkey written excellently by Jeremy Seal, looking at all the changes happening over the last 100 years.

He is a journalist who is travelling around Turkey seeking the history of the Fez and looking at all the changes that have happened and how well they have been accepted by the young and the old, very funny book 8)

Did you know the wearing of a Fez has been banned in Turkey since 1926 because it is Ottoman and Islam?.

Tinx ;)

Offline jackstee

A Fez of the Heart
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 19:19:13 PM »
Yes and maybe.
But there is a Turkish restaurant in one of the shopping malls, here in Doha, where they all wear a Fez.
In fact there are many Dona joints here also and aside from the odd one or two, they are all Turkish working in there.
Quite funn when I heard them talking in Turkish, I ordered my food in Turkish but got replied in Arabic, after I mentioned my Ev was in Fetiye everything changed. I now get taken to the front of the Q, Get local prices and a few upgrades. ( I order a small one and they give me a double portion.
And you know what, it's the real thing but half the price of Turkey.

It's nice, makes me feel sometimes that I'm close to home.
By the way, I will be back to join my other half during Eid ( Byram) for a week. Will pop across to Chalis and hope to meet a few of you.
Keith, will you be around, Tink I would like a meet about the pet place re our previous chat.

Best regards to all of you.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
A Fez of the Heart
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 19:34:33 PM »
no probs. Jack

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf