Author Topic: Attempted Bag snatch  (Read 2354 times)

Offline maximumtom

Attempted Bag snatch
« on: May 07, 2011, 20:51:37 PM »
I normally walk facing the traffic on roads with no pavements. This afternoon I was walking along the road out of Gunlukbasi towards the Mugla road and I crossed over to look at a car for sale, so that my back was towards to traffic. I suddenly felt a thump in my back and the water bottle that was in my rucksack was sent spinning across the road. At first I though it was an accident ; then I realised that a bloke in a passing white car had tried to grab my rucksack; by the time I had my mind in gear , the car was too far away to see the numberplate - it was on old saloon car.
So , be aware and walk facing the traffic.

Offline busybee

Attempted Bag snatch
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 21:45:43 PM »
How awful Tom, these opportunists have got more front than a car showroom and in broad day light.  It would be worth sending an email or telephoning the complaints hotline.  I know they cant do much but if enough people report these incidents then maybe they will be forwarded on the the police. They still may do nothing but if stuff like this doesnt get recorded and reported we are just accepting these situations.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Attempted Bag snatch
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 23:28:48 PM »
shysters. hope your ok.

Offline buddy

Attempted Bag snatch
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 00:12:48 AM »
I wonder if it's the guy we were discussing on here last year, who drove an old white Mercedes car. I was walking with my family back to our apartment last summer in the early hours when this car came cruising slowly past, I remembered the discussions about this car so I made a point of clocking the three young men in it, looked like they were up to no good.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Attempted Bag snatch
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 00:23:14 AM »
It is probably the right time to remind everyone to be vigilant - a wonderful place it is but opportunist crime is worth highlighting. Please listen to what is going on around you - I learned to even after a "good night out" - listen to the mopeds and cars behind you, are they slowing down? Don't make it easy for these small time crooks - it really will spoil your holiday. Keep yourself aware, handbags to the inside or whatever it is - trust me, these guys are idiots, just make sure you have your wits about you.

And girls, don't walk back to the hotel alone - you wouldn't in England so be safe abroad too - even if it's just a couple of hundred yards. Thanks for sharing Tom, glad to hear you are ok after this.

Offline scouser2

Attempted Bag snatch
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:48:37 AM »
Thanks for the warning Tom.Another reminder only to take out the amount of cash you think you will need for the night/day.

Offline booo

Attempted Bag snatch
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 19:45:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

It is probably the right time to remind everyone to be vigilant - a wonderful place it is but opportunist crime is worth highlighting. Please listen to what is going on around you - I learned to even after a "good night out" - listen to the mopeds and cars behind you, are they slowing down? Don't make it easy for these small time crooks - it really will spoil your holiday. Keep yourself aware, handbags to the inside or whatever it is - trust me, these guys are idiots, just make sure you have your wits about you.

And girls, don't walk back to the hotel alone - you wouldn't in England so be safe abroad too - even if it's just a couple of hundred yards. Thanks for sharing Tom, glad to hear you are ok after this.

Good advice, no way would I walk down some of the roads here even in broad daylight, those new electric scooters are almost silent, cant hear the flippin things till they're right next to you

Offline Janice1971

Attempted Bag snatch
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »
Im in no way condoning what these thiefs do but I wonder that if Turkey had some sort of benefit system to help normal working people whether the crime rate would be quite so high, you have to be really really poor in Turkey to get any assistance, if you are a normal family and you havent got any money you dont eat or pay your rent, sad really!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf