Author Topic: Kayaköy up for rent!  (Read 7266 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Kayaköy up for rent!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 18:49:13 PM »
Depending upon who the chosen builders are, at the end of the lease it may look exactly as it does now.    :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 19:06:16 PM »
If Hanel get the job the roofs will collapse and rain will get in through the walls. Oh I take your point Kevin!!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 20:26:10 PM »
Unfortunately, Turkey's idea of preservation is to just leave the site and to let it continue to crumble.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 21:10:21 PM »
Personally speaking KKOB, that sounds preferable to the alternative 'restoration'.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 21:26:25 PM »

Unfortunately, Turkey's idea of preservation is to just leave the site and to let it continue to crumble.

Or use it as a climbing frame/playground

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 23:49:08 PM »
Personally speaking KKOB, that sounds preferable to the alternative 'restoration'.

I partly agree with you. But I would have thought that if they were so proud of the village they would have done something more sympathetic to preserve it.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 00:10:05 AM »
I have a friend who is a member of the architects association in Fethiye and in the past they have restored a couple of the village houses. They got in touch with the HQ of their association in Ankara a few years ago about Kaya but they weren't interested - because it is Greek heritage not Turkish.

When this issue about Kaya was raised a couple of years ago and the Save Kaya Facebook page was set up I did quite a lot of research. I found numerous newspaper reports in the local Turkish press where it was very clear that many of the local Kaya Turks including those that hold official positions want this development. They are fed up of being the poor relations to the other local areas where landowners have profited from selling their lands, building properties for foreigners etc etc.

This is the Facebook page if anyone is interested https://www.facebook.com/groups/110494149116617/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 00:30:01 AM »
The restoration into homes is repulsive due to the way it is being done. Once again they found a way to sort something out by getting someone else to pay for the entire thing. They don't have to spend a penny. You do it up, you can rent each bit of it out for 49 years! No noticeable requirement to make it true to what it was in it's prime.

To me Kaya Koy slowly dies as all awful episodes should - but I would truly prefer it to be restored in a "how we think it may have looked" project, than to have a "this looks fairly decent; well given we only have it for 49 years we ain't going to spend much time on research or money on it" style.

In my heart and in my mind I have often wondered what Kaya Koy looked like, the very day those good people did their housework, locked the front door and headed for the harbour at Fethiye for their journey to Greece. Dear Turkish (and British) friends of mine worked hard to make that the halfway house option for the good of the area, the history and the now.

With this I know I'll never ever see that, and to me that is almost unbearable.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 10:24:14 AM »

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf