Author Topic: learning turkish in Fethiye - advice sought  (Read 2664 times)

Offline teresa321

learning turkish in Fethiye - advice sought
« on: July 27, 2006, 20:42:45 PM »
We are moving ever closer to our relocation and I wish to get down to serious language learning during the winter months. I have only dabbled with cassettes and I am a beginner.

All of you who are now learning out there can you tell me the pros and cons and the different types of lessons available?  Also a bit about cost as well please.

I am quite willing to do school type learning. I do not expect to become a master I wish to learn enough to get through normal day to day life.  I am not going to be working and I would prefer day time lessons because we do not plan on running a car and transport could be a problem at night.

I know there are English speaking people who give private lessons - not sure about that, is anyone learning this way.

All information and comments will be gratefully received.

Teresa [:X]

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 22:00:25 PM »
We have been attending a language school in Fethiye. Our Tutor who was from the university was an excellent and very patient teacher. The emphisis was very much based on the grammar of the language which is complicated. However because we were trying to be correct in what we said we felt our conversation did suffer and rather than construct sentences our communication tended to consist of individual words because the grammar was difficult to recall at the drop of a hat.  No doubt in the fullness of time we could have become fluent this way. Lessons cost 40TL per hour for the class(Not per person)and there were three people to split the cost. We unfortuneately had an enforced break from these lessons for several weeks and to avoid forgetting all we had learned we switched to a young Turkish lady whose approach is more conversational with the Grammar being picked up along the way and although we have only had three lessons with her we seem to be progressing much faster and more confidently  but of course we did have the background of the previous lessons.Her costs are 20TL per hour and we are still splitting it three ways. She comes to our house to give the lessons.
It is difficult to say which is the best way as it is a case of what is the best way for you.
There are those who offer to teach you in a month (Yeah Right) and those who don't speak very good English (So how can they teach you Turkish??)
Hope this may be some help to you but if you want to know more contact me through my profile. :)

Offline Kafkaf

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 22:54:42 PM »
Where abouts in England do you live?

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 23:16:15 PM »
Is Ann still doing her homework every morning Brian? Anne x

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 06:44:41 AM »
Yes....but it is a bit more relaxed now.:D.See you soon. :)

Offline teresa321

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 19:41:42 PM »
We live near Durham but we are moving over at the end of September and learning some language seems to be an ideal winter starter.

Thanks tribalelder I will be in contact.

Teresa

Offline Linda

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 09:15:10 AM »
Teresa - we are moving out in October and are equally keen to learn the language and would be happy to join a group session with yourself. Please keep us posted with any info you find out and we will do the same  :)

Offline Linda

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 09:16:23 AM »
Teresa - we are moving out in October and are equally keen to learn the language and would be happy to join a group session with yourself. I have dabbled witht he language and know the basics but Tony will be a complete novice. Please keep us posted with any info you find out and we will do the same  :)

Offline Linda1953

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 09:48:43 AM »
As I am secretary of the english speaking AA meeting here in Fethiye I also attend the Turkish speaking one and whilst they are very kind at translating I think its about time I learned the lingo seriously.  This weekend I am attending a mini convention in Muğla in conjunction with the Marmaris group and of course the Fethiye Groups and again this will most likely be in Turkish.  I realise I am missing out on a lot of information with regard to my not being able to speak and understand Turkish.

Offline nese

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 13:58:02 PM »
Hi Teresa

I run beginners course in Fethiye also i do 1-2-1 if you are interested give me a ring on  0 544 879 79 29  also this include anybody who is interested in learning Turkish :)

(my class starts on Monday 2nd October )

quote:
Originally posted by teresa321

We are moving ever closer to our relocation and I wish to get down to serious language learning during the winter months. I have only dabbled with cassettes and I am a beginner.

All of you who are now learning out there can you tell me the pros and cons and the different types of lessons available?  Also a bit about cost as well please.

I am quite willing to do school type learning. I do not expect to become a master I wish to learn enough to get through normal day to day life.  I am not going to be working and I would prefer day time lessons because we do not plan on running a car and transport could be a problem at night.

I know there are English speaking people who give private lessons - not sure about that, is anyone learning this way.

All information and comments will be gratefully received.

Teresa [:X]

[:X] :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf