Author Topic: Fish Market  (Read 13246 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Fish Market
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 09:59:33 AM »
Phil - you just reminded me that our night out there (after bartering for the cheapest cover charge) was the most expensive meal we have eaten in Turkey up to date (and that includes Bella Mamas fillet steak!)

.. and the toilets were disgusting.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Fish Market
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:18 PM »
Having been on a few occasions can recommend it highly if the following criteria apply
1.you like fresh fish/shellfish
2.like the novelty of the market place setting
3.like the ambience of a market with plenty of hustle bustle
4.enjoy simply, but expertly cooked wholesome food
5.like ice cold beer and wine to accompany your food.
If your're looking for a cheap meal and I'm not sure that you are- this isnt it. Its not why we go.We go for all of the above and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  I dare say if we could do it in Leeds we might not enjoy the novelty aspect so much but we cant, regardless of how good our Leeds Fish Market is,  I cant imagine it being quite the same experience.
Fish and Shellfish is an expensive commodity all over the world so I wouldnt expect that just because I'm in Turkey it will be cheap. Cheap- er maybe but not cheap!
Oh and by the way the place we go has very clean loos! Think it might be called Reis, though I've usually enjoyed number 5 above too much to take notice!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Fish Market
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 14:25:02 PM »
Don't be put off by it being known as "The Fishmarket" There are also 3 butchers on the fishmarket. So, for those not keen on seafood, there's plenty of other choice.

Offline Neisha

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 17:46:25 PM »
Fish market is definately worth a visit - lots of nice frsh produce - theres a veg market next door to. Ive eaten there - have to agree with the comments that i prefer the scenery in Calis - but the food is good and not expensive.

They weer even showing footbal when i was there - so got to be good!

Offline june

Fish Market
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »
Stu and I have been to the Fishmarket a couple of times but each time did were not the ones that paid....lucky eh! :)

So the question is when we are over in September and eat there again how much should we be paying for our fish, there is always a lot of bartering going on..as usual......last time we had approx 8 - 12 huge prawns and we both had Sea Bream, between us, how much do you think we should be paying for that Alan[?]

Also we will definately try your recommendation of Oztoklu Alan, and the wine is a lot cheaper but which dry white is best Alan, there are not many  :)

We may pop to see you at Kaya in September Alan, I know we have threatened a few times but now you are settled in.

Best wishes

June

Offline nigesam

Fish Market
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
Totally agree with Cavfan, We did the fish market yesterday. A geat experience. Lots of fun. Great for people watching, just sit back and watch the world go by.
nigesam

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Fish Market
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 12:21:38 PM »
June,

Prices for fish will be dependant on what the market is like at the time. To be honest, I'm not a great fan of fish, so I don't really know the prices. I do know however, that Rukiye will get you the best price possible, and, unlike many of the waiters in the other restaurants, she doesn't take a commission from any of the fishmongers.

Everyone's got their favourite wine. So the best thing for you is to try them all!!

Look forward to seeing you in September. Inshallah!

Offline Patty

• Poster
Fish Market
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 12:45:21 PM »
We used to visit Ruykie in the fruit market for our kebabs, we got talking as you do and arranged to come for an evening meal at her parents place, two doors down.
Fish was on the menu so decided i would try it. Starters was prawns, not for me, i'll just have salmon as a main.
Anyway, after a couple of efes, got brave and decided to try these prawns, fab....
All four had a lovely meal and most enjoyable evening here. We also went back in July as it was so nice.
For those of you who like to eat fish but not too good with the smell in the fish market just go into the fruit market to Ruyike who'll prepare and cook a lovely meal with parents.
Pat

Offline june

Fish Market
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 07:30:13 AM »
Okay thanks Alan we will go to Ruykie and let her do a deal for us.

I have a number of favourite wines but just never found one in Calis!! will have to carry on drinking I guess :)

Will e mail you before we arrive end of Sept.

Offline Joxx

Fish Market
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 11:21:45 AM »

Hi Lance,
KKOB is right to add the info about there being other sections there. The butchers are excellent.
We have eaten at the fish market restaraunts a number of times usually with visiting friends and family as it is a bit special.
For us we can recommend Regips Plaice  (yes plaice!!). He will also guide you in the choices. Another whose name escapes me is on the extreme left hand corner as you pass from the vegetable market into the fish. Their chilli prawns are to die for.
I have never seen anyone charge 35  YTL anywhere for a bottle of wine, but the advice about how the bill grows as the alcohol flows is worth remembering.
Enjoy Lance
Joxx:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf