Author Topic: Istanbul  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Maz

Istanbul
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:10:54 AM »
Hi All - am hoping to spend a week or so in Instanbul later this year - can anyone please help with where would be the best area to stay and what are the "must-sees".  Cheers!

Offline starman

Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »
If you dont want to stay in a tourist ghetto then stay clear of sultanahmet and go for the hote#351;s in the Taksim/Besiktas area or anywhere along the Bogaz hatti.
great views from intercontinental and swiss and also the marmara.
Places to see:

Apart from the obvious Aya sofiya, sultanahmet mosque, topkapi palace & kapali carsi I would go for the dolmabahce palace, istikal cad, get the boat to buyuk ada.
restaurants, go for anyone of the many fish restaurants along the boz but I would recommend the ones in Bebek.
Shopping, go for the cevahir mall in Sisli, the largest mall in europe or the Kanyon in Levent which is more up market but a fantastic mall considering the architecture.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Istanbul
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »
For must see's, do a search on google, they're all there; Blue Mosque, Ayia Sofia, Kapali Carsi etc.  Alternatively, pick up a copy of the Lonely Planet guide to Istanbul, it lists all the sights with fairly accurate descriptions.

Avoid the fairly pricey tourist hotels in the Sultanahmet area and try Sirkeci, further down the hill and closer to Emininou Iskele.  There's dozens of mid range hotels and the bars and restaurants are not as touristy (or expensive!) as those in Sultanahmet.  

You can usually get some good deals using Allstar Hotels or Octopus Travel.

JF

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Istanbul
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:34:46 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by starman
great views from intercontinental and swiss and also the marmara.

Great prices as well!  300EUR a night at the Marmara for a double with sea view...

JF

Offline Maz

Istanbul
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
Thanks for your advice guys - it's really helpful to hear from people who've actual experience of staying somewhere.  The search now begins for the best deal!

Offline starman

Istanbul
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »
been staying here since 1996. Still finding new places to visit all the time.

JF, I can get you a better deal at the Ciragan palace. they have the sultans suite going there for 20,000 USD per night but it does include the helicopter transfer.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Istanbul
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
Sounds pretty fair...  in return I'll get you a weekend break at the Balat Hilton for ten bob and packet of smarties, including dolmus transfer from wherever you want  :)

Maz - have a look at Istabul Online, loads of info there.

JF

Offline Maz

Istanbul
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 14:11:16 PM »
Fantastic website - thanks John.  Thanks to you too Starman.  Would September/October be a good time to vist?

Offline AnneandTerry

Istanbul
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 00:23:33 AM »
We were in Istanbul this time last week, staying at the Angel's Home Hotel in Sultanahmet, within walking distance of the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, St. Sophia and the Grand Bazaar.   Small, friendly, family-run hotel in the Ottoman style.  All you can eat buffet breakfast.   Double room, B&B, from 49 euros/day, with 10% discount for cash.   Stay for four nights, and your transfer from the airport is free.   Stay five nights, and you get a free transfer from the airport and back again.   Can thoroughly recommend.  

Website: www.angelshomehotel.com.   Very prompt reply to email enquiries.

Anne and Terry

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Istanbul
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 06:13:42 AM »
It's also worth a trip to the top of the Galata tower and a walk around the terrace at the top ( if you've got head for heights ).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf