Author Topic: Locking topics  (Read 6141 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Locking topics
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »
The topic "Why are members stopped from arguing with each other" was started by Twin Bee 0n 07.08/2007 at 22:07 and was locked by Redding 43 on 08.08/2007 at 09:11 after contributions from 14 members.

That hardly seems to me a suitable length of time for other members to have had there say on an important issue. This feeling is obviously coloured by the fact that I was mentioned in one of the responses but did not have the opportunity to post my view.

May I suggest that a new Forum Rule "Locking topics" is add in an attempt to clarify the position.

Signed: Whoever it was

Offline sannyrut

Locking topics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »
Agreed Highlander.

Offline mavisim

Locking topics
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »
How do you make a ruleset on something so open ended? I thought that was why Moderators are used - it's a judgement thing rather than set in stone?

Offline friar tuck

Locking topics
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
Lock him up
 8) ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Locking topics
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »
It may well be difficult Mavism, but surely there could be something along the lines of "a topic will be looked when, in the opinion of the Moderators/AdAdministratorsthe topic has:

1.   developed into a private argument between two members
2.   opinions are being expressed in an abusive manner
etc.

At least that way, members would have some guidelines to work to.

I think that people are unhappy at the moment because they feel that topics are being locked simply because a moderator/administrator, rather than the members, has decided that it should be and that there appears to be no appeal mechanism for the topic to be unlocked.

There is absolutely no doubt that the moderators have a very difficult job. I am equally sure that the choice of which members are made moderators is only taken after due consideration of that persons' ability to do the job. I think we should all put our trust in them in the first instance and express our concerns on the odd occasion when we feel they may have got it seriously wrong.

Whatever your views, on whatever topic, lets all try and keep it friendly and remember the first Forum Rule....

It is expected that all members show respect to others . :)

Offline friar tuck

Locking topics
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:24 AM »
I agree with most of what you say Highlander, I have on other forums entered in to a "discussion" and because of my passion for Turkiye and it's people that passion got the better of my rational thinking and the dolly the bedding even the feeding bottle went out of the pram, the mods as you say have a very difficult job and you cant please all of the members all of the time, at the end of the day we are all here because of one thing OUR LOVE OF TURKIYE AND IT'S PEOPLE. (sorry didn't mean to shout)
Amen :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Locking topics
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 13:59:24 PM »
My view is that forums work best with fewer rules. It is interesting when members ask for extra rules. It means they care about the community. Sadly far more wade in without even reading the rules, or even familiarising themselves with the way things work here. Recent dummy spitting from a new member who thought it unfair to alert her to the rule that asks members not to type in all capitals. Now, if it were me, I'd have noticed that none of the 120,000 other posts were in capitals before I added mine, and conclude that capitals was probably not the way to go.

I'm sorry, but Mavisim is correct, judgement from our moderator team will always keep the forum smoother than hundreds of rules.

Please appreciate that we didn't get this big by accident - we are a discussion forum for a tiny part of Turkey and most Turkey-wide forums can't match our member or post numbers. That is down to us running it well and fairly.

You can't have a set of rules for locking topics. Most members would not expect a Highlander post to be treated the same way as a post from a "new member", with no real name, an especially made up hotmail email address and a first post telling everyone what a git Scunner is  ;)

We get to know members, their styles, humours (occasionally) and level of tact. Just let us deal with it as we see it, we haven't done CBF much harm to date.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Locking topics
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 14:54:37 PM »
I had better cancel my hotmail account then.....

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Locking topics
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 16:05:42 PM »
quote:

Most members would not expect a Highlander post to be treated the same way as a post from a "new member", with no real name, an especially made up hotmail email address and a first post telling everyone what a git Scunner is  ;)

Scunner - you haven't read my next one yet ;)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Locking topics
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 17:23:45 PM »
Poor Tinkerman ;)

The first time he has locked a topic and it becomes a major debate.

I

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf