Author Topic: Basic advice for potential buyers  (Read 42633 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Basic advice for potential buyers
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2007, 06:34:13 AM »
Can you compare cream and crap[?]:D

Offline wrighty

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »
that has definitly made my mind up i m coming to live in calis next year

Offline Strawberry

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2007, 14:21:35 PM »
Anyone who can imply that comparing Calis to the UK is like comparing 'cream to crap'-  either has a low regard for Calis; or lived in a very undesirable area in the UK.

And anyone who can decide to relocate to Calis, on account of a stanger's post on a website, needs to get guidence of a different nature.

Strawberry

Offline wrighty

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 22:45:35 PM »
my reply was sent tongue in cheek

Offline my way

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 23:53:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Just to kickstart this forum I put together some things to think about when choosing your dream home in the sun. Just a couple of subjects for now.

These are based on the experience of buying twice, although some of these tips I learned too late, lots of emails from people who found my websites and thought I seemed to be worth asking about buying property, and from enormous amounts of reading and also obsessive checking of real estate websites.

Hopefully some will be thought provoking and others can add their handy tips:

Well Calis obviously but where?

My villas are well out of the centre of Calis. We like that very much. We like eating breakfast on the veranda with the background sounds of goat bells and the occasional bee flying past.

People often email the rental site asking for somewhere nice and quiet, so I tell them I have just the place! Then they reply with "It has to be close to the bars and restaurants" Well, it can't be done. Do you REALLY want peace and quiet, or do you want Calis centre on your doorstep? Think hard, this isn't two weeks in the Summer you are paying for, it's most of your holidays for many years to come.

SEA VIEWS?

Of course! We all want to look out to sea from our balcony. If it's important, go for it. But Turkey is no different to anywhere else. it comes at a price. One development in Calis had two properties for sale, both on the seafront. One facing straight out to sea and one the very same facing an identical block opposite. The price difference? £40,000. Identical buildings. There are some lovely villas for £40,000!

Also be very careful. Some properties I have seen advertised are way over normal price because of a sea view. Not £40k, but into 10's of thousands more. Beautiful views over the islands and Fethiye. The only thing between you and the sea is a scruffy grassy area.

Once they build on that scruffy grassy area (and they will!) your sea view is gone forever - and the premium value of your property with it. So ask yourself: Is my sea view permanent? Some I have seen advertised are probably unlikely to have a sea view for too long the way things are going.

Real Estate Speak

Here is the Estate Agent/Scunner holiday house purchasing phrasebook.

"10 minutes walk to all the bars and restaurants"
There is a bar with a restaurant near those trees. Calis is miles away

"If you don't come out by next week it will be sold"
I hope this idiot doesn't know it's been on the website since January

"Handy for the dolmus"
You need the dolmus

"500 yards from the sea"
500 yards from somewhere with no beach

"This guy does all our maintenance"
This guy speaks only Turkish so we can double his quote and you won't be any the wiser

"That?! We'll get that fixed for a few pounds"
This will cost you £50 to fix

"Handy for the market"
People will descend upon you in their thousands once a week

"A property with extensive Turkish charm"
If I bought this I'd demolish it and start again

"Midway between Calis & Fethiye"
Absolutely hopelessly placed for either

"Prices from £50,000"
Prices from £60,000 if you want the luxury items, roof, doors etc.

OK so some maybe a bit tongue in cheek, but there's truth in all of them to some degree.

Most important thing: If it doesn't feel right, it isn't. If you read something, or are told something that doesn't seem to go down comfortably, ask others about it. Ask here at the forums. Email me. Email someone else on here who has bought. Ask someone who doesn't have a clue, but ask for a second opinion.

Scunner

Nice script Scunner. But where do we write about rude, intimidating, outrageously lying, and in builders pockets, estate agents. Like the one in Calis. Forget it's name - Taurus, porous, something like that.

Offline turkeylad

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by my way

quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Just to kickstart this forum I put together some things to think about when choosing your dream home in the sun. Just a couple of subjects for now.

These are based on the experience of buying twice, although some of these tips I learned too late, lots of emails from people who found my websites and thought I seemed to be worth asking about buying property, and from enormous amounts of reading and also obsessive checking of real estate websites.

Hopefully some will be thought provoking and others can add their handy tips:

Well Calis obviously but where?

My villas are well out of the centre of Calis. We like that very much. We like eating breakfast on the veranda with the background sounds of goat bells and the occasional bee flying past.

People often email the rental site asking for somewhere nice and quiet, so I tell them I have just the place! Then they reply with "It has to be close to the bars and restaurants" Well, it can't be done. Do you REALLY want peace and quiet, or do you want Calis centre on your doorstep? Think hard, this isn't two weeks in the Summer you are paying for, it's most of your holidays for many years to come.

SEA VIEWS?

Of course! We all want to look out to sea from our balcony. If it's important, go for it. But Turkey is no different to anywhere else. it comes at a price. One development in Calis had two properties for sale, both on the seafront. One facing straight out to sea and one the very same facing an identical block opposite. The price difference? £40,000. Identical buildings. There are some lovely villas for £40,000!

Also be very careful. Some properties I have seen advertised are way over normal price because of a sea view. Not £40k, but into 10's of thousands more. Beautiful views over the islands and Fethiye. The only thing between you and the sea is a scruffy grassy area.

Once they build on that scruffy grassy area (and they will!) your sea view is gone forever - and the premium value of your property with it. So ask yourself: Is my sea view permanent? Some I have seen advertised are probably unlikely to have a sea view for too long the way things are going.

Real Estate Speak

Here is the Estate Agent/Scunner holiday house purchasing phrasebook.

"10 minutes walk to all the bars and restaurants"
There is a bar with a restaurant near those trees. Calis is miles away

"If you don't come out by next week it will be sold"
I hope this idiot doesn't know it's been on the website since January

"Handy for the dolmus"
You need the dolmus

"500 yards from the sea"
500 yards from somewhere with no beach

"This guy does all our maintenance"
This guy speaks only Turkish so we can double his quote and you won't be any the wiser

"That?! We'll get that fixed for a few pounds"
This will cost you £50 to fix

"Handy for the market"
People will descend upon you in their thousands once a week

"A property with extensive Turkish charm"
If I bought this I'd demolish it and start again

"Midway between Calis & Fethiye"
Absolutely hopelessly placed for either

"Prices from £50,000"
Prices from £60,000 if you want the luxury items, roof, doors etc.

OK so some maybe a bit tongue in cheek, but there's truth in all of them to some degree.

Most important thing: If it doesn't feel right, it isn't. If you read something, or are told something that doesn't seem to go down comfortably, ask others about it. Ask here at the forums. Email me. Email someone else on here who has bought. Ask someone who doesn't have a clue, but ask for a second opinion.

Scunner

Nice script Scunner. But where do we write about rude, intimidating, outrageously lying, and in builders pockets, estate agents. Like the one in Calis. Forget it's name - Taunus, porous, something like that.

The one i like best 'uninterupted views' - I wonder if my alledged estate agent remembers that one.

Offline turkeylad

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2008, 11:34:38 AM »
My way perhaps your estate agent and the estate agent??!! who sold me my property could get together they sound like the dream team.

Offline david330

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2008, 15:14:18 PM »
Hi there all new member here. Just returned from Calis and really loved the place and am considering buying there.  I have read all sorts of stories from different scources can anyone give me an answer to the following question

Can foreign nationals currently buy property in Turkey?

We have been told by Nicholas Homes that we can but we have read on the Turkish embassy site that all sales are suspended until further notice.

We viewed several properties and really liked the Archways development, does anyone know anything about this complex?

I have been told that Mr Scunner is the man to talk to as he will give me honest advice about buying, which would be gratefully appreciated.

Hope to hear from a few of you soon.

Thanks for your time

David Adams

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2008, 15:57:33 PM »
David, go back to the section "Property in Calis Beach and Turkey" and then look under "Risk Free Property Purchase in Turkey" (or something like that  :-\ )

Lots of really good information from Mr Scunner's new company, and, no, he doesn't pay me commission - YET! (Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, Keith? lol :D )

Good luck with your search, David.  We put a deposit down spur of the moment on the last day of our hols last August, and came home wondering what the heck we had done!!!  :o It all went like a dream, we were back in October to collect the keys and furnish our beautiful new apartment, and then picked up the tapu in March, though it had been at the agents office since January.  :)

You'll know what you want to buy as soon as you see it!  8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 07:22:21 AM »
Would also recommend you use Keith, and agree with Julesbob0303.   We bought 5 years ago after our first visit to Calis. We where there two days and looked at property on the 3rd day and bought the property we loved the next day... We are so glad we did, life is to short to procrastinate. We love Calis and love our house.  We unfortunately, did not know Keith then, but would not hesitate to use him if we decide we want a bigger place when we retire.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf