Author Topic: dangerous snakes  (Read 5299 times)

Offline suec

dangerous snakes
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
A friend of ours had an altercation with one of the vipers shown in Kayakoyoldboys photo. We have had a large scorpion in the villa.On the terrace we have had quite alot of very large hairy beige spiders which we have been told are Camel spiders.Not nice beasts i can tell you they are agressive little buggers they dont run away from you. Can anyone tell us if there is anything we can do to deter them as i wont sit out at night anymore ....

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
dangerous snakes
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 13:42:29 PM »
I doubt very much if they're Camel Spiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Spider

They're more than likely of the Wolf Spider family. We're getting a lot of them at the moment. They're large, hairy, grey to beige and have lighter dots on their legs. We use Raid and a size 12 boot on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

I don't think you can really do anything to stop them coming into the house. If you're thinking of surrounding the house with the anti- scorpion / snake / anything creepy powder to keep them out, remember you're also keeping them in !
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 13:44:27 PM by KKOB »

Offline Firo

dangerous snakes
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 15:20:30 PM »
We had 2 last year on our terrace and they look more like the Camel spider than the wolf spider to me.[?]
Large heavy boot does the trick and each time it's been the dogs that has first spotted them and even they backed away barking like mad.:D
None this year so far....
Fi

Offline suec

dangerous snakes
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 15:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the info KKOB but they are definetely not Wolf spiders, looking at the pictures they could possibly be Wind Scorpions as they look very similar. They are a good 4 inches long so beware!!!
Just been on the internet and found that Camel Spiders are also known as Wind scorpions. So I dont know what they are.
Fi im glad you have seen them too as i think people thought we were going daft LOL.
Whatever they are they are nasty little bu**ers, The dog doesnt like them either.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 15:45:01 PM by suec »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
dangerous snakes
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 21:21:14 PM »
We have wolf spiders AND camel spiders in Uzumlu.  But they don't last long when you have two cats.....

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
dangerous snakes
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 06:41:24 AM »
If you have a scorpion problem.......get a Meercat!  Watched one on the television last night devour a very large scorpion:D

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
dangerous snakes
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »
OMG my legs have just gone! I hope that those creatures are just in Uzumlu or Kaya- sorry folks but I do -if I saw anything like that in calis it would be good night vienna- seriously! The jumping spiders I can just about cope with but those are monsters. Why did I click the bl**dy link! I wont sleep now!
Yes keith I remember that little darling near to our gaff- have been very aware ever since when walking towards the bridge- however I understand theres a new cut through the club e gardens so will be going that way from now on!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
dangerous snakes
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:53:12 AM by Rindaloo »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
dangerous snakes
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 14:12:40 PM »
BEAUTIFUL STONE HOUSE FOR SALE ......iM packing !  (seen the ottoman vipers in the olive groves and can cope with those - but wolf spiders and camel spiders have just sent me over the top.   GOING CHEAP ....

Offline calvin 1949

dangerous snakes
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 14:56:28 PM »
Its the smell of chocolate that attracts them. Calvin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf