Author Topic: nothing important  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 17:26:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by lanky

when someone as genuine as Clairelynne felt it necessary to leave the forum

She signed up again 5 minutes later with a new user name! Some need to leave the forum that was!!!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 17:50:58 PM »
I think its a great shame this got out of out of hand.  I am sure Claire was only hoping to warn us.  Yes, I know we are fed up with "a friend of a friend" type stories.  But if this is a true development in the burglaries, then it is truly sinister (and, lets face it, entirely possible).  None of us wants to believe this story as it is very worrying to think our much loved pets could be hurt while we are away from home, by sadistic thieves.  I think it is a shame it degenerated into people taking the P.  I think it ought to be pointed out that some of those comedians wouldn't be at any security meeting in Uzumlu, because they don't live here.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 18:08:07 PM »
Ok Lynn, taking on board your thoughts (and I have), how should "friend of a friend" type stories be treated? I am genuinely interested because as I see things, the options are 1. As we do now, let an open forum be open, 2. Delete the post. 3. Delete the replies.

If there's a 4, let me know  ;)

Offline lanky

nothing important
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 18:39:48 PM »
Scunner, i would plump for option 1,  but leaveing out the childish remarks often found in replies from the more senior members. Having been burgled, yes my main interest is in this subject, i want to find ways of stopping this happening. Uzumlu is becoming a crime hotspot. Have you seen how many villas are for sale by people wanting to leave the village? A posting recently by a senior member said they would gladly attend a meeting, so long as it did not clash with a quiz night. Does that not make you a little bit sad?

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 18:41:39 PM »
I appreciate that YOU have a problem there.  I really do.  But taking the P out of someone who was trying to helpful isnt fair.

How about this:-  what should someone do if they hear some information that may be useful to the rest of us?  Should they not mention it here and risk it being true?  Should they try to verify it and then mention it on here?  Or should they mention it but point out the info isnt first hand?  I used to get totally hacked off about rumour mongers when I was at work, and ignored them because usually the rumour was a load of rot.

BUT, (and this is the issue for me), in the process of the ensuing banter it has given the impression that the people of Uzumlu don't take security seriously, if people dont attend the meeting next week because of this then it is a case of shame on some CBF members for causing that impression and shame on any who don't attend the meeting for such a daft reason.  

AND I think it has hurt Claire's feelings when all she wanted was to let us know of something she had heard.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 18:51:58 PM »
quote:

A posting recently by a senior member said they would gladly attend a meeting, so long as it did not clash with a quiz night. Does that not make you a little bit sad?

It doesn't make me sad at all, why would it? I didn't say it and quite frankly whether someone goes to a meeting or a quiz night doesn't make much difference to me and my life. I just provide the place to write it all. They may have been joking, I don't know. I don't recall the post. Who are these "senior members" anyway? Who decides, and once senior, do they have to curtail their character and stick only to serious comments?

Whether or not it confirms my own views on a certain section of expats is a different subject, but not one I lose any sleep over. Are you staying or going from this forum, from which no good can come?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 18:58:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rindaloo

I appreciate that YOU have a problem there.  I really do.  But taking the P out of someone who was trying to helpful isnt fair.

How about this:-  what should someone do if they hear some information that may be useful to the rest of us?  Should they not mention it here and risk it being true?  Should they try to verify it and then mention it on here?  Or should they mention it but point out the info isnt first hand?  I used to get totally hacked off about rumour mongers when I was at work, and ignored them because usually the rumour was a load of rot.

BUT, (and this is the issue for me), in the process of the ensuing banter it has given the impression that the people of Uzumlu don't take security seriously, if people dont attend the meeting next week because of this then it is a case of shame on some CBF members for causing that impression and shame on any who don't attend the meeting for such a daft reason.  

AND I think it has hurt Claire's feelings when all she wanted was to let us know of something she had heard.

Forgive me Mrs Loo but I have read that several times and if there is an option 4 in there I have missed it!

The problem simply is that those who reply have heard it all before, the ones who post it are relatively new and haven't. The reaction to their advisory post may well surprise them as they were probably expecting a pat on the back for their helpful post.

Like I say, I don't know the answer, please all feel free to advise [:o]

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2010, 19:55:37 PM »
You asked for a 4th suggestion as to what you should do.  I didnt give you a 4th, I said I understood that you have a problem.

I didnt offer an answer but I did say I thought some of the replies were taking the P to an extent where people were getting the wrong impression of the people of Uzumlu taking the Burglaries seriosly.  I also pointed out that most of the comedians didnt live in Uzumlu.  What I then did was to ask 3 questions from a different angle, ie Claires, to illustrate her dilemma when in possession of (possibly) important information.

Offline lanky

nothing important
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 19:58:24 PM »
Rarely have i heard such condescending drivel. New members think they are being helpful and that someone might appreciate any snippet of information that would be of interest to them. When i was burgled, my house was trashed, but worse than that my rescue dog was beaten and still remains a nervous wreck, so i hoped that the forum was the place to go to see what we could do as a united group within the village looking for fair play and safety from  local officialdom.The reaction from the revered elders does not surprise me, nor am i looking for a pat on the back

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
nothing important
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2010, 20:18:06 PM »
quote:

i hoped that the forum was the place to go to see what we could do as a united group within the village looking for fair play and safety from  local officialdom.

The forum is the place to go, to see what can be done. Rather than moan and whinge about how things are done here, members like corbindallas and dinger have arranged a meeting of Uzumlu residents so opinions can be voiced and thoughts shared. They wisely used the forum to spread the word.

I do not write every post that appears on here, nor do I agree with or endorse them all. What I do is provide the room, I don't hand pick the people. While I have every sympathy with every single person who has been burgled, I did not burgle your house and neither I am sure did any of the "elders" here you speak of.

If you are going to post here you will have to show some respect to the people that freely make the forum available for people like you to utilise. If you insist on calling it an "online jokebook" and a place for "condescending drivel" it is best you choose not to come. If the tone of your contributions doesn't change, and you can't make that choice I will make it for you.

Before you come back with the usual response, ALL views are welcome on CBF, not all attitudes are. When you allow me to walk unannounced into your living room and p1ss all over your space, you'll be welcome to come into mine and do the same.

Topic is now locked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf