Author Topic: Turkish 1st world war armenian problem  (Read 2253 times)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Turkish 1st world war armenian problem
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
America has just upset Turkish president by declaring the wipe out of the armenians during first world war as act war crime.

Offline ilrifugio

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 22:34:46 PM »
yes indeed they did, but as usual, the Americans have or a short memory, or a lack of decent history education, because:  what they are referring to, happened under Ottoman reigning, and ottoman reigning in those days, was far more mixed nationalities than just the today turks! Today Turks cannot help it that they inhabit the actual territories of the old ottoman empire....  Anyhow, what's the use of keeping stirring things up???  And are the USA forgetting the importance of Turkey for NATO boundaries????  I cannot understand what the americans are hoping to gain from this stirring (they always have a hidden agenda, wonder what this one is.  Well, it cannot be oil this time)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 22:43:35 PM »
I read that the White House put pressure on to avoid this decision. It seems an opportunity to embarrass Obama etc.

I agree with you - Turkey today has little to do with this - how far shall we go back? Nazis? Romans? Vikings? - the whole of Europe is guilty of atrocities at some stage or other in history - Britain included.

Offline davidzz

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
We should remember this is only based on the votes of 23 people out of 45 in america who sat on a committee that have moved a motion. The ambassodor withdrawal is a knee jerk reaction that a number of countries use. They will go on to have diplomatic meetings to discuss this, if my memory serves me right this happened a couple of years ago and was blocked from going any further.It keeps the diplomats and foreign affairs people in a job  ;).
Agree with you most countries commited awful acts but most of those responsible arent here now. does not mean we should forget but lets look to the future

Offline dreamon

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
Good post Davidzz.
Agree [^]

Offline Chinook

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 19:58:15 PM »
Wonder when the USA is going to formally admit to the genocide of many of their native indian nations?:(

Offline cheers

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 20:36:32 PM »
America don't have problems with native Americans anymore they've all been paid to keep quiet.  Have you seen the golf course in Vegas owned by the native Indians on land which was given back to them as a sweetener?

Offline starman™

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »
I would not put all the blame on the Ottoman Turks. The young Turks knew about it aswell. Check this BBC article.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7042209.stm

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:38:30 AM »
I think that peopel should accept that in the past and even today war crimes goes on no nations hands are clean. we should look to the future but remember the past to make sure that we don't make the same mistakes twice.

Offline starman™

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »
True. After all how many genocides have their been since we climbed down from the trees?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf