Author Topic: Turkey and the EU  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Turkey and the EU
« on: July 11, 2010, 20:30:32 PM »

A good article in the Sunday Telegraph today regarding Turkeys increasing change of heart regarding joining the EU

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/turkey/7883072/Turkey-goes-cool-on-joining-the-European-Union-as-it-falls-for-the-lure-of-the-East.html

Offline littlereddevil

Turkey and the EU
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:22:23 AM »
Although I love Turkey I think there are so many reasons why they are unsuitable for the EU

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Turkey and the EU
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
Although there are still benefits in joining the EU the massive benefits like billions of Euros for internal development have gone.You will no longer see massive investment in infrastructure like the EU did in Greece. I remember in countries like Ireland the signs at the start of major building projects carrying Sponsored by the European Union written on them. Those days are long gone.

The major benefit for the current EU is that Turkey would be a buffer between the EU and the more radical Islamic countries. It is very difficult to understand the position of the current Turkish government. On the one hand they want to join thee EU and on the other hand they want closer ties with Russia and the Islamic states.

I can understand the French and German opposition in that Europe is being overrun with foreign migrants. Although Britain supports the Turkish application it would not be long before the complaints start that the Turks are taking all jobs. Similar to now but it is the Polish that have taken the jobs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf