Author Topic: Driving on a UK Driving Licence  (Read 6991 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Driving on a UK Driving Licence
« on: September 07, 2011, 15:48:29 PM »
I arrived home today from 10 days of driving around on our little scooter on our UK licence and enjoying ourselves in Fethiye to find an e-mail from Aegean Independent with a link to this article below - now I know it is a "looking for work" pitch - but could it be true??

For anyone who does not have a Turkish license and are unfortunate enough to have an accident, then they will be faced with all involved costs as their insurance company will not pay out and will even face a heavy fine or jail sentence.

The process of obtaining a license is not a difficult one but can be a little daunting for those of you who don't speak Turkish. This is where we come in as we offer the assistance of an interpreter for a day, who knows everything involved and will accompany you to all the relevant offices. The application can be handled in a single day and all required paperwork can be dealt with by us.

Beware!

The problems don't stop here though as there are so many ex-pats driving around in Fiat Doblos and similar vehicles. These vehicles are classed as commercial and in Turkey it is illegal for a foreign person to drive them.

For any further information or advice please feel free to contact us at the Aegean Independent on 0530 *** ****
Please note that this is an important piece of information and if you have a friend in this category then please inform them.

Any ideas????
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 15:50:07 PM by Ian »

Offline milliemars

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 16:09:02 PM »
If this is the case i.e Fiat Doblo,s etc,if illegal how is it we have Yabanci plates and get issued with them through Traffic Polis.Just one more thing I also thought The Aegean Independant was no more!!!!!

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 16:14:21 PM »
"The problems don't stop here though as there are so many ex-pats driving around in Fiat Doblos and similar vehicles. These vehicles are classed as commercial and in Turkey it is illegal for a foreign person to drive them."

What an absolute load of removed_by_swear_filter!  If that was the case then can they explain how we were able to buy a Doblo?, the Notary would have picked up on this, how we are able to tax and insure it?, how we can 'MOT' test it? and also why have the Police and Jandarme not picked up on this every time we have been stopped and checked at a routine road check?
They are talking out of their backsides.  I thought they had ceased trading !!!!!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 16:48:59 PM »

Offline milliemars

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 17:07:01 PM »
I thought they are now selling property !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Beep

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 18:12:23 PM »
Before everyone writes this off I recently heard of a guy who wished to buy a brand new Dacia Logan Estate and the local Renault distributor refused to sell him one as although he has a Turkish driving licence he didn't hold a commercial licence valid for this particular model ...... yes that's right, a car dealer refused to sell a car !!!!!!

I do know that some of the Fiat and Ford models are also classed as commercial as well so perhaps as well to check your paperwork  ;)

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 18:42:11 PM »
Rod is correct, I spoke with the bloke who could not buy the car on his Turkish licence, as I understand it when you translate your licence from English to Turkish you pay for each class of vehicle, my Berlingo, Doblo's etc are classed as "small lorries" (Kaymonet) which can not be driven on a licence just for a car, so when you have your licence translated make sure all categories are done. This is how it was explained to me at the Citroen garage when I was going to buy a new car last month.
Mark

Offline BM06

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 18:42:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

"The problems don't stop here though as there are so many ex-pats driving around in Fiat Doblos and similar vehicles. These vehicles are classed as commercial and in Turkey it is illegal for a foreign person to drive them."

What an absolute load of removed_by_swear_filter!  If that was the case then can they explain how we were able to buy a Doblo?, the Notary would have picked up on this, how we are able to tax and insure it?, how we can 'MOT' test it? and also why have the Police and Jandarme not picked up on this every time we have been stopped and checked at a routine road check?
They are talking out of their backsides.  I thought they had ceased trading !!!!!

You can buy, tax, insure, MOT, any vehicle in Turkey as a Yabanci, as you can in most parts of the world, but to drive it you need the correct licence[?] now I am not saying the article is correct about the doblo, but if you reside in Turkey full time and have sold up in the UK then your UK licence should have the address where you permanatly live (ie Turkish add) , I know some years back there was a tax loophole here regarding converting a comercial (ie vans) into cars by adding rear seats and windows, but I do belive they closed that in about 2003[?]  as regards the police/JD I do not personally know any that can read/write English[?] I am in know way agreeing with the said article but you have been here long enough now Eric to know that its not a problem until something goes pear shaped ;) could be interesting :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 18:44:48 PM by BM06 »

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 18:44:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by karaokemark

Rod is correct, I spoke with the bloke who could not buy the car on his Turkish licence, as I understand it when you translate your licence from English to Turkish you pay for each class of vehicle, my Berlingo, Doblo's etc are classed as "small lorries" (Kaymonet) which can not be driven on a licence just for a car, so when you have your licence translated make sure all categories are done. This is how it was explained to me at the Citroen garage when I was going to buy a new car last month.

That said every time I have been pulled icluding a speeding fine I only had my English licence which was accepted, a freind of ours wrote his car off and got paid out by the insurance company ok.
Mark

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 18:45:44 PM by karaokemark »

Offline starman™

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
According to the traffic emniyet website and the actual wording in the law, it states that you can use your driving license here for aslong as you dont become a Turkish citizen. If you do then you have 12 months to covert it otherwise you can carry on as per usual.
On my 20th year here on a UK license and never had problems from police or insurance companies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf