Author Topic: Smoking in bars/restaurants-should it be allowed?  (Read 12031 times)

Offline Bluwise

Smoking in bars/restaurants-should it be allowed?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Can you help me by pointing out a confrontational bit was please - I seriously can't see anything over confrontational  :)

The way you have asked me to explain is less confrontational than previously to Julesp-

"No, what you said wasn't that a bar is not a kids playground just because it is winter. What you said was "in my opinion Children should not be allowed in bars anyway".

I agree there was a contradiction but when pointed out I just thought it was a bit harsh and I see that on here - and that's not exclusive to you Scunner. We don't have the benefit of facial expressions/body language and it can seem tougher maybe than it's meant to be?

Offline amca

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 15:14:08 PM »
Jeremy Clarkson said that smokers should be taken outside and shot in front of their families. Now that is what I would call confrontational.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 15:48:05 PM »
Wasn't that strikers[?]

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 15:49:27 PM »
I think you will find it was an entirely different group of people Jeremy Clarkson said should be shot as he is a very heavy smoker himself. ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 17:01:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bluwise

The way you have asked me to explain is less confrontational than previously to Julesp-

"No, what you said wasn't that a bar is not a kids playground just because it is winter. What you said was "in my opinion Children should not be allowed in bars anyway".

I agree there was a contradiction but when pointed out I just thought it was a bit harsh and I see that on here - and that's not exclusive to you Scunner. We don't have the benefit of facial expressions/body language and it can seem tougher maybe than it's meant to be?

I still don't see it I'm afraid - someone can say that kids should not be allowed in bars, then say they didn't say it, and I, in pointing that out (simply by quoting what the individual said) was harsh?

Are we adults here or should people discuss things like they are dealing with a child and be wary of giving a similar but differing view but in a lovely fluffy way (unlike the statement that started it?). Surely if people don't want confrontation then they should steer clear of making controversial comments like "in my opinion Children should not be allowed in bars anyway" - such opinions are fabulous for discussion forums - because people can have a different view to the original one and a good debate always follows - so if you are going to make such a statement, get ready because you aren't going to get 100% of the replies agreeing with you and shock horror people will say so.

Life's like that...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 17:07:04 PM »
quote:

Life's like that...

I didn't get where I am today by having you tell me what life's like ! :D

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 17:13:45 PM »
back on track..
I think this time of year i think you need compromise, most of the bars are quiet so why turn away the smokers? if there is a function going on and the place is full then they go outside for a smoke.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 17:18:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by KKOB

quote:

Life's like that...

I didn't get where I am today by having you tell me what life's like ! :D

Of course not, life's not like that :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 17:21:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

back on track..
I think this time of year i think you need compromise, most of the bars are quiet so why turn away the smokers? if there is a function going on and the place is full then they go outside for a smoke.

I agree fully but the law is in place now. My opinion always has been that there should be no laws, Turkey, UK or anywhere - if the majority non-smokers need smoke free bars then the free market would see that potential and provide them. Same with child free bars - how many can you name in Fethiye? If there was one, how long would it last? I'll tell you, till the day the bar is empty and next door is busy serving families.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 19:18:55 PM »
I didn't suggest treating people like you would deal with children or to be "lovely/fluffy" - isn't that just going to the other extreme?
It clearly upset Julesp to be shown in no uncertain terms that she had contradicted herself but maybe confrontational was the wrong word - but whatever a more appropriate word may be, it was enough for her to say she was thinking of departing the forum.
I'm happy to follow or join in a good debate without being shocked or horrified at disagreements and I'm not going to spit my dummy out when challenged :.. which at some point I surely will be.

Now back to smoking in bars:.bring it on!  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf