Author Topic: Smoking in bars/restaurants-should it be allowed?  (Read 12576 times)

Offline cheers

Smoking in bars/restaurants-should it be allowed?
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 00:56:48 AM »
It was a ridiculour post to start with in the beginning julesp. Thats my opinion anyway, due to the fact it has been debated on this forum many times and there is NO answer!  People who want to smoke will anywhere the proprietor lets them.  I'd rather have a CONSIDERATE smoker than kids in a bar when I go out for a quiet drink!  I do not want to be a babysitter to keep other peoples kids amused.  If they sat nicely next to the parent thats a different matter but the majority just let them walk around to keep them amused by other people!
Got my crash helmet on already folks!!   :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by desmartinson

quote:
Originally posted by stoop

Well I'd shoot them all (smokers and strikers ;))

We have had this discussion more than once or twice. My view is it's great to go out and not have to breathe in second hand smoke and have my clothes stink the next morning - but I do have some sympathy for those who want a fag or two with their drink. Maybe a smokers room could be the answer in some pubs but if they can't or won't provide one then in my opinion they should abide by the law and be made to go outside.

Even outside they should show some common courtesy and not blow their smoke over those eating close by.

Where they going to blow it then stoop, into a paper bag and take it home. ;)

That's a great idea! But a more practical one is for them not to light up next to those eating food :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »
Nice to know the pull of CBF is as strong as ever though  ;)

Offline anna g

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »
Wow, I did n't expect such a debate on this and that 'kids in bars' would come into it.

I posted this as I am fairly new here so sorry if it's all been discussed before but I wanted to have my say and find out the policy on smoking.

Keeping to the my original query and post, I now know the law on this and as such it's very simple whatever any one's opinions are. No smoking in enclosed premises so that means no smoking. Winter or summer or whatever. Bar owners/customers alike should take note.

As to 'kids in bars' and a few of Julesp's and a few other's comments.

I don't take my son to bars instead of the playground but both, my point was as it is winter places to go are limited. We go to the playground/beach weather permitting, walks in the pram and the local bars/restaurants that are open. So my point was simply that we are pretty well stuck for places to go if I cannot take him into one of our local resturants if it's full of smoke.

My persception of these places are that they are family orientated and have always welcomed us. I am from London and I know the restrictions of taking children to pubs/resturants. Living the turkish way is basicaly very different to living in London hence you don't feel awkward going into places with your children.

On a personal note I am talking about time in the afternoon where my son and myself can get of the flat for an hour, visit one of the local bars/restaurants  where we are known and he can meet people and I meant "having a run about" literally. But of course he will want to explore but myself or his dad are always with him.

If I visit a place that is meant to be a smoke free zone then that's what it should be.

It's  been interesting reading and thanks for everyone's views.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 14:47:50 PM »
Spot on Anna.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 16:07:49 PM »
Anna - are there no smoke free restaurants at all?  I would have thought at least some would be abiding by the rules.  Or is it just your preferred restaurants/bars are allowing it and that is annoying you?

Stoop - I can't say I have ever seen anyone deliberately blowing smoke over others and if you are sat outside a restaurant you would be hard pressed not to sit near someone eating.

Sounds like you want it all your own way to me folks.  
At least the majority of smokers are asking for establishments to offer a choice rather than insisting everywhere be "smoking allowed"

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 16:33:54 PM »
Bluwise - did I say 'deliberatley'? No I didn't think so.

What I am getting at is those smokers who finish their meal and then light up next to a table with people eating on it. If I was a smoker (and I was once) I would firstly ask them if they minded and if they did I would either refrain from lighting up or go for a walk - somewhere away from the tables.

That's what I meant by 'common courtesy'.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 16:56:50 PM »
I read your line "not blowing smoke over those eating close by" as suggesting it was being blown towards someone eating which suggests deliberate to me rather than accidentally coming your way in the breeze.  I do agree consideration should be given in trying to avoid that happening - I would avoid a restaurant with tables close together for that reason.

I guess if someone had the good manners to ask if you mind if they smoke then it would only be polite to say "not at all, please go ahead"   ;)

Offline anna g

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 18:04:03 PM »

Anna - are there no smoke free restaurants at all?  I would have thought at least some would be abiding by the rules.  Or is it just your preferred restaurants/bars are allowing it and that is annoying you?

Bluewise, we do go to Four Seasons sometimes which we enjoy and now The Morning Star so yes we have found somewhere else although the others were/are regular places for us.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 18:10:59 PM »
One problem is that the owners can see the business they get from letting smokers smoke, but never see the business they have lost because they let smokers smoke.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf