Author Topic: Joint Account info  (Read 2939 times)

Offline rowanpc

Joint Account info
« on: February 28, 2012, 15:36:37 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if someone might be able to help me out. My mum passed away recently and had 2 Turkish Bank accounts that we now need to repatriate back to the UK. 1 of the accounts is joint with me (her son) to make it easier but the other is in her sole name.

Does anyone know what the process is with the joint account - i know in the UK (where i live) that in the event of death the account is just transferred into the other persons name, but have heard different things for Turkey. (The account is with TEB Bank if it makes a difference?)

Also with the account that is in her sole name does anyone know how we would start the process of getting it back to the UK? (ING Bank this time)

Thanks in advance

Rowanpc
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 17:06:43 PM by rowanpc »

Offline Eric

Joint Account info
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 18:17:16 PM »
The system is long and complicated.  You need to employ the services of a solicitor/advocat to take you through the system.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Joint Account info
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 23:56:16 PM »
With regards to the ING account there is a very good contact who is a member of this forum, his real name is Alper & his username is banker. As a new member you wont be able to send him a private message until you've made a few more posts but if Scunner (the forums webmaster) is reading this I'm sure he will let you through the "spam" barrier & you can then ask for his help & advice.

Good luck & I hope this doesn't become too painful but Turkey is renowned for its red tape!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Joint Account info
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:40 AM »
As helpful as Alper is, he won't be able to do anything until probate has been granted in Turkey.

Offline terrie

Joint Account info
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:00:03 AM »
on the joint account they do not require both signitures,do not tell them yet about the passing ,until you have emptied the joint account

Offline rowanpc

Joint Account info
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »
Thank you so much for the advice.

Is it legal to just empty a joint bank account knowing that one party has passed away? It had crossed my mind, but wondered whether it would get flagged as it happened after death (and obviously date on the death certificate?)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Joint Account info
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
Would the bank know of the death? If not, I know what I would do. The suggestions of extensive red tape do not do the situation justice - I fear the 'legal' route might well be horrendous for you.

Offline rowanpc

Joint Account info
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »
Thanks again.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know of a good solicitor in the Fethiye area who has experience dealing with probate etc? There is a turkish will but i dont have much confidence in her to be honest - she is hard to contact and not quick in responding.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Joint Account info
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
My advice, get the money out as fast as possible and never mention it again, not even to a lawyer, notary, or friends!  

As for the Turkish Will, sit back and start to count the cost.

Absolutely no faith in the Turkish Will legal system,

Offline phil5257

Joint Account info
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
Solicitor we used to purchase house advised us just to get the money out of the accounts and say nothing if one of us died.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf