Author Topic: Problem With Unlocked iPhone  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Problem With Unlocked iPhone
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 23:18:02 PM »
Ok thanks. My line of thought is that I was offered a crappy Nokia last time when my iphone was blocked out there and it was around £40 I think. I'd rather get a £9 one from Tesco or something similar and bin it when I get home  :)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 23:43:27 PM »
I had a UK phone blocked after about 10 days if I recall correctly. So you may be lucky if you are not there long that it may not be blocked. I don't know what the criteria is for being blocked, time connected, call time, certain time of month etc. I ended up buying a £40 Nokia in Turkey (you could get for about £15 in UK) because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 23:47:44 PM »
This is all relatively new to me because my phone from when we lived in Turkey was registered. I don't understand how this works for holiday makers - do they get their phones blocked after a while?

Offline Marggie

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »
The phone will not be blocked if they leave their UK Sim in but of course then it is expensive to use.  I keep my UK phone charged up and make the odd text but keep voicemail switched off and don't answer any calls because that would take my credit.

Bought a cheap Samsung, had it registered and use it whilst in Turkey.  As long as you top up within 270 days you don't lose the number.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
This is all relatively new to me because my phone from when we lived in Turkey was registered. I don't understand how this works for holiday makers - do they get their phones blocked after a while?

Correct Scunner. A UK registered phone with Turkish sim will be blocked to Turkish networks after a while. 10 days in my case.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »
The phone will not be blocked if they leave their UK Sim in but of course then it is expensive to use.  I keep my UK phone charged up and make the odd text but keep voicemail switched off and don't answer any calls because that would take my credit.

Bought a cheap Samsung, had it registered and use it whilst in Turkey.  As long as you top up within 270 days you don't lose the number.

If you don't top up Marggie (which I can't) can you just buy a new pay as you go data sim each time for the period of your holiday?  I seem to recall something about only being allowed one mob number ?

Offline snowtop

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 13:59:12 PM »
i went to Avea today and was told that the tax is now 150tl and has to be registered within the first 30 days of the last date stamp of entry on your passport.
In otherwords after setting foot on turkish soil, you have 30 days max in which to register your phone

Offline Marggie

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 17:48:22 PM »
If you don't top up Marggie (which I can't) can you just buy a new pay as you go data sim each time for the period of your holiday?  I seem to recall something about only being allowed one mob number ?
[/quote]

Hi Bluwise, honest answer, I don't know.  On your turkcell phone next time you are in turkey text *111# this will activate international roaming then when you are back in the UK your phone will work enabling you to top up. Don't forget to turn voicemail off so you are not charged for incoming advertising calls.

Alternatively, below is a link for topping up online.  Hope this helps.

http://www.turkeycentral.com/topic/3687-keep-turkcell-current-while-out-of-turkey/

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 19:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the info - much appreciated   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf