Author Topic: Pink Floyd Question  (Read 9740 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Pink Floyd Question
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
I still have this in vinyl somewhere. It was worn out in my younger days as it was listened to on a daily basis.

Offline donkeyoaty

• Newly Registered
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 16:54:37 PM »
I know there are a few fans on here and I hope to get some info   :)

I have Dark Side of the Moon (it's the law I believe) and know quite a few other songs through my dad being a big fan - but I don'[t know what they are or what album they are from. I've been watching quite a lot about the band on BBC4 and my interest is on the up.

So the question is, for someone who only has Dark Side, what album would you recommend he buys next?

Thanks!

Try Meddle and Echoes. See what you think. For me I like their instrumental stuff best. But eveyones different so try before you buy.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 23:10:30 PM »
Re the Ummagumma Album, half of it was recorded live at Mothers club in Erdington Birmingham.I was there and the DJ was John Peel who was paid £10 a night.seated by me was Robert Plant in his old RAF great coat.He and Stevie Windwood,John Bonham and Jim Capaldi were there regulary watching other groups and sometimes joining in. One resident group was Black Sabbath. Happy days, (due to the ever present blue haze in the club )

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 13:07:41 PM »
Wow !!, sounds great Kevin, what memories to keep !!   :)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 21:35:38 PM »
It was a fantastic club,Joan Baez was a member,Bob Dillon called in,gigs included Muddy Waters,Howlin; Wolf,John Lee Hooker,Joe cocker,The Who,Deep Purple,Procal Harum,T Rex,Elton John,Clapton,John Mayall ect,ect,I had a pint with Gene Vincent.    8) 8)   

Offline valleyboy

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 17:00:33 PM »
I agree with most said above, the Syd Barrett days, though creative I do find a bit "psychedelic" (the guy was a creative genius though totally insane !), but, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are worth a listen and also an old compilation called Replicas (See Emily Play, Arnold Lane, Bike).

The "classic" Waters/Gilmour years, definitely Wish You were Here (possibly on par with Dark Side of the Moon), The Wall (amazing concept album), Animals (Floyd Marmite !  ;)), Final Cut (depressing).

The Gilmour years, A Momentary Lapse of Reason (passable), The Division Bell (Excellent).

Also Keith give Roger Waters' solo stuff a listen,(much featuring Eric Clapton), particularly The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Radio K.A.O.S., and Amused to Death.

I'm following this advice quite faithfully - love Wish You Were Here; The Wall has been worn out - moved onto Animals (not sure), Meddle (like some) and now struggling with The Final Cut. Also bought The Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking on CD for the car (remember CDs!?).

Great advice following my question so thanks again.

Offline Sokak91

• Newly Registered
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
Classic rock documentary on 'Dark Side Of The Moon' is currently showing on BBC Iplayer, but only available to view/download until 2nd April, so get in quick   ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074sf2/Classic_Albums_Series_6_Pink_Floyd_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon/

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 15:53:18 PM »
Philosophy, poetry and musical genius !;

Roger Waters acoustic of "Brain Damage" ;

http://youtu.be/_oC5BZdxNr4

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 18:06:12 PM »
FABULOUS !!!!!!!!
(although I still think that 'Wish you were here' is a better album)
Maybe I just overplayed DSOTM  :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf