Author Topic: UK Cold weather payments  (Read 26375 times)

Offline quackers

UK Cold weather payments
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:51 AM »
I see the EU has ruled that UK has to pay those of us living abroad ' Winter fuel payments'. Will you be claiming? I certainly will.

Offline grizabella

Re: UK Cold weather payments
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:26 AM »
This cant be true,can it?If so where do we get the paperwork etc.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
Anyone living in the Eu has always been able to claim Winter Fuel payments. Turkey is not included as far as I know. They have a  "recipricol agreement with Britain" only as they are not in the EU.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 14:10:11 PM »
Trainer, read & digest the following, my friend.

The DWP confirmed: “It is now possible people living in the European Economic Area and Switzerland may be entitled to Winter Fuel Payment.”

Turkey is Not part of the E.E.C. never ever will be, & therefore Ex-pats living there are NOT entitled to Winter Payments. So there !!  ;D

Offline quackers

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 15:13:50 PM »
I thınk UK are appealıng agaınst the rulıng but watch thıs space you never know.

Offline quackers

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 15:38:23 PM »
Also the pensıoner who brought the case lıves ın Swıtzerland and Swıtzerland is not a  member of the EU as far as I know . They have trade wıthın the EU and have freedom of movement for workers. So maybe!!!

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
I think that is was I said Gordon LOL. xx

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »
Turkey isn't part of the EEA so I don't think you will get it. I think they are appealing anyway and the minister has vowed to add a tempature clause meaning those who live in places with warm winters won't qualify - and rightly so IMO. Not sure where Calis would fit in temperature wise.

Winter fuel payments were designed to help Pensioners in harsh winter conditions so that they could keep warm and not suffer hyperthermia - not those who live in warm climates.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »
Stoop you have obviously not lived here in winter, believe me mate it gets cold. I would think that the cost of keeping a house warm here during the winter could be more expensive than the UK, because fuel prices are so high and lack of insulation in the building of the houses here.

If someone receives their pension before they left the UK they get to keep the winter fuel payment, if you receive your pension after you left the UK, you are not eligible, at present. Is it colder for those that were in receipt of their pensions and winter fuel payment before they arrived? Did they pay more into the system before they left the UK? sure looks like discrimination to me. If they let me have my pension free of UK tax it would not be so bad, but I still HAVE to pay UK tax on my pension for absolutely buqqer all, I suppose it is to help subsidise all you lot that still live there!!!

Also, Turkey may not be in the EU, but I am still a citizen of an EU country, no matter where I live in the world!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:15:24 AM by Diverbaz 1 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf