Author Topic: UK Cold weather payments  (Read 26377 times)

Offline quackers

Re: UK Cold weather payments
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 21:26:58 PM »
We also paid our full 40 years tax to entitle us to a full state pension and we retired at 60. We also pay tax to the UK on our pensions. We retired to Turkey on health and economic  grounds and are not a drain on the Health Service so are saving the country money. The winter fuel payments are just that and are not governed by temp, only the increases for hard weather payments are. The money is there to help pensioners to pay for extra fuel in the winter. If the winter in the UK happened to be warmer than a normal winter the payment would not be cancelled. It is colder in the North than the South but the people living there don't get higher payments to allow for the extra fuel costs they incur. We may not be paying Vat ect, but as we retired early we have enabled another person in the UK to be employed in the job we retired from, thereby helping the economy.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 21:35:45 PM »
but as we retired early we have enabled another person in the UK to be employed in the job we retired from, thereby helping the economy.

Would that not have been the case if you had stayed in the UK.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 00:40:20 AM »
We also paid our full 40 years tax to entitle us to a full state pension and we retired at 60. We also pay tax to the UK on our pensions. We retired to Turkey on health and economic  grounds and are not a drain on the Health Service so are saving the country money. The winter fuel payments are just that and are not governed by temp, only the increases for hard weather payments are. The money is there to help pensioners to pay for extra fuel in the winter. If the winter in the UK happened to be warmer than a normal winter the payment would not be cancelled. It is colder in the North than the South but the people living there don't get higher payments to allow for the extra fuel costs they incur. We may not be paying Vat ect, but as we retired early we have enabled another person in the UK to be employed in the job we retired from, thereby helping the economy.

It's all immaterial anyway as Turkey doesn't qualify as things stand. If they ever get to qualify then those who meet the criteria (whatever it is at that time) should get it. I suspect temperature means testing would allow you to get it but don't bank on it. They will probably say something like it has to be below freezing for so many days or weeks before it kicks in.

Offline quackers

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »
We would not have been able to afford to retire early had we stayed in the UK so to be able to do this helps both us and the unemployed.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »
As someone who would like to spend more time in Turkey when Phil retires, it would be interesting to know just what the most expensive heating bill would be in the Calis area.  i.e. how much money is paid for out for the coldest months on average?
Our last bill to fill a tank of heating oil here in Scotland was £1,200 which has steadily gone up over the years. It seems no time since the bill was half that amount.  We also have to pay an electric bill on top of this.
I have no axe to grind either way on Expats, I am just interested to know what, in future, we would need to pay if we are in Turkey in the colder months.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
UK Cold weather payments
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »
Our most expensive month for electricity this year was just under 100tl.
That was using air con to take chill off bedroom at night for about 20 mins, a bathroom towel radiator on permanently, electric blanket every night and using halogen heater in the lounge.
Also watching tv, electric oven, washing machine and using laptops and 30 mins immersion heater on cloudy mornings to heat water

We're very economical about not leaving lights on, only using machine for full wash loads ( years of being a single parent I think! )

Our lowest bill was 35 tl for a month.

Were on our 3rd or 4th gas bottle, they're around 65 / 70 tl each.

Water is negligible.

In the uk I paid £120 a month all year round for gas & electricity, £30  a month for water and £120 for council tax.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
I'm obviously either a bit less economical or don't get out as much, as my most expensive month was IRO 200tl. I do, however, count myself lucky, as friends living in Karagozler had bills IRO 400tl & still complained that they were cold

Offline Marggie

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
When we were looking for an apartment Karagozler was our preferred area - the views are to die for but we were advised by Turkish friends to look around Yakamoz or Calis to take advantage of the winter sun.  The mountains prevent Karagozler from getting sun and it is very damp in the winter.  On the up side it is much cooler in the summer.

Offline quackers

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 14:21:35 PM »
We have a log fire for winter afternoons/ evenings in the salon ( logs cost us about 60tl a month)) plus aircon heating  if really cold during the day, aircon heating in the bedrooms  on for maybe an hour or so before bed ,also electric blanket. 

We cook with electric oven and gas hob ( 1gas bottle per winter 70tl approx)

We have an immersion heater for hot water on cloudy days in the winter about 1 hour a day. Washing machine, hoover ect ect and our electric bills are about 200tll every month.

The costs are roughly the same in the summer as we have pool pumps and aircon on cool in the bedroom all night and in the salon some evenings (most times we are outside with a fan going) as well as all the usual electrical gadgets. We budget to spend approx 250tl a month year round on electric/gas bottle bills + logs depending on how hot or cold it is .

Council tax is £80 a year approx and water is £7 a month approx .

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 17:27:54 PM »
Thanks people, that is very helpful

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf