Author Topic: Withdrawing sterling in Calis  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Codsmall

Withdrawing sterling in Calis
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
We are coming to Calis next week and need to withdraw some sterling from a cashpoint, last year we used the HSBC over the bridge. Is it still there and are there any others? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Offline tonysue

Re: Withdrawing sterling in Calis
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
yes the hsbc machine is still over the bridge but you can get sterling from some of the machines by the dolphin taxi rank too.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
yes the hsbc machine is still over the bridge but you can get sterling from some of the machines by the dolphin taxi rank too.
I beleive there is post on CBF advising against using the ATM.s by the taxi rank tonysue.

Offline tonysue

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
Des, I  use the machines by the taxi rank on a very regular basis and have done over the past 5 years and never had a problem. Although I too have read the posts. It is possible to have your card cloned at any outlet that accepts plastic. If the ATM looks like its been 'got at' dont use it  and as for people approaching you and offering help, well what would anybody do if approached in the same way in the UK or anywhere else for that matter. It is a sad fact of life that when people pack their suitcases to go on holiday they forget to pack their brains too.

Offline Codsmall

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
thanks for the replies, do the taxi rank cashpoints charge for withdraws of sterling?

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
I think that would depend on your bank , but i'm sure someone will correct me . Anyway , if you have a Nationwide Account with a Debit Card then there is no charge , the Nationwide waive this cost and I think the only Bank that does, We have been withdrawing Sterling from the HSBC for many months with no problems , I believe other Turkish banks have this facility.

Offline tonysue

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 13:14:54 PM »
yes it does depend on your uk bank. my nationwide account doesnt charge for sterling withdrawals but does charge for withdrawing foreign currencies, which is the reason I  withdraw sterling from the taxi rank  ATM and exchange it in the shop nextdoor.

Offline Codsmall

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 13:43:27 PM »
isnt there a cashpoint by the water park, or am i getting confused with somewhere else

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 18:12:07 PM »
We use the ATM at the bridge, it seems safer to us, you can go in and shut the door.  The other ones by the taxi rank have no doors and seem very exposed, this is where the con men seem to operate.  We also draw sterling from the ATM using the Nationwide.. no charge.  Never used the one at the Water Park as the one at the bridge is handy for us. ;D

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:24:38 AM »
There is an ATM by the water park but I'm not sure whos. However I don't think it pays sterling. I COULD NOT find a machine by the taxi rank that pays sterling. Follow JH's advice and use HSBC just over the bridge, I always do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf