Author Topic: Further drop in Interest rate  (Read 11686 times)

Offline Sleuth

Further drop in Interest rate
« on: March 01, 2013, 15:11:18 PM »
Another interest rate fall today of 0.50% ... is it on its way to 0.5 %  ??   Always knew it would one day be single figures %  but never thought it would drop below 9%   but I read somewhere Erdogan  is hell bent on bringing it down to 0%  :-(

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: Further drop in Interest rate
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 15:23:26 PM »
Surely higher interest rates encourage investment, strengthen the currency and reduce inflation? So why be hell bent on 0%?

Both UK and the States are about that level and I don't think either are in particularly good shape.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 16:16:19 PM »
Erdogan has a religious objection to interest per se. Usury is forbidden in Islam - as it used to be, in certain circumstances, in Christianity.

The topic has been discussed here:
http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/banks_interest_money_transfers_insurance/is_it_end_golden_goose_40985.0.html

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 16:22:28 PM »
Erdogan has a religious objection to interest per se. Usury is forbidden in Islam - as it used to be, in certain circumstances, in Christianity.
Colwyn given your local knowledge what stance did the Druids take on usury?  A topical question today as well.

Offline Brianbern

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 16:48:05 PM »
UBT, I have rather lost touch with the theories of Druidry since I was thrown out for revisionism and suspected covert rationalism.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 17:14:35 PM by Colwyn »

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 17:10:19 PM »
What interest  rate are we talking about. i  am only interested in what i get here in turkey. thats why i invest my money here in turkey. i e 9 to 10% on my monthly account. I sold my house in england for quite a lot off money. and certainly would not leave my money in a UK bank making sweet F A.   :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »
What interest  rate are we talking about. i  am only interested in what i get here in turkey. thats why i invest my money here in turkey. i e 9 to 10% on my monthly account. I sold my house in england for quite a lot off money. and certainly would not leave my money in a UK bank making sweet F A.    :)
Des I think we are talking about Turkish interest rates here.  The concern of many is that the recent 'plunge' in Turkish interest rates could mean that Turkish interest rates could be heading the same way as UK rates, and paying sweet FA

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Dont like the sound of that UBT. :(

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »
As I understand it the Govt want low interest rates to encourage people to make more investments that generate growth. Also high interest rates are linked to high inflation and it has always been this Govt's policy to lower inflation and therefore interest rates.

I have recently realised that it pays to take an active interest in what the different banks are paying even though that means regularly going to the bank and negotiating a better deal which can involve changing the nature of the account or moving money around between banks.

After comparing the rates on my accounts with 3 difference banks I noticed that the Finansbank had become the worst offender of low rates, Garanti had the best rate at nearly 2% more. I paid Finans a visit and changed my account to something similar to the ING Orange account which means I can access my money when ever I want without penalty. In English it is called an egg account and the welcome rate was 2% more than I was getting on my Time Deposit account. This will fall by about 1% after the 35 days is up and I have it booked in my diary to go again and see what else is on offer.

The days of really high interest rates is over but it is worth making sure that your money is earning the highest rates available even though it is highly inconvenient and no matter how much one likes the staff at any particular bank.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:20:57 AM by nichola »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf