Author Topic: Cyprus Banks  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Eric

Re: Cyprus Banks
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »
Cyprus have stuck two fingers up to Germany.  Not one MP voted in favour of the new tax.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2295670/Cyprus-rejects-bank-forced-people-hand-10-savings.html

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Cyprus Banks
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
Protestors cheered in the streets outside the Parliament when the result was announced, chanting: ‘Cyprus belongs to its people.’

And the German attitude is "and your debts belong to your people as well"

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
Odd that the Euro has gone up today: instead it is the pound that has fallen.

The Cyprus Finance Minister is currently in Moscow trying to renegotiate their debt repayment. Will it work? Well I'm sure the Russians would like another potential naval base in the Eastern Mediterranean in case they lose the one they have in Syria. Or at the least a friendly, indebted country in the region.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:47:38 PM by Colwyn »

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2013, 14:48:28 PM »
Gazprom will turn out to be the only winner in this debacle, wait & see.   ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »
The European Central Bank has cranked up the pressure on Cyprus:

The Governing Council of the European Central Bank decided to maintain the current level of Emergency Liquidity Assistance (ELA) until Monday, 25 March 2013. Thereafter, Emergency Liquidity Assistance (ELA) could only be considered if an EU/IMF programme is in place that would ensure the solvency of the concerned banks.

This means that the Cyprus Government has to come up with a €7bn contribution to the bailout by Monday, or face the plug being pulled on its banks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:36:02 AM by Colwyn »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 17:16:46 PM »
I think it is a fair result for the people of Cyprus. Those with deposits under €100k have their money protected by the state backed by the EU; and those above that don't have their money guaranteed. We all knew didn't we? Up to £85 safe; over that you had better think about spreading the risk. If you didn't whose fault was that? What was unfair was that Greek, Portuguese, Italian, etc, banks and their big depositors got away free because German and French taxpayers where taking the cost. Even Russia isn't making too much of a fuss. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvede "In my view, the stealing of what has already been stolen continues". Sounds like he admits that Russian mafia money has been slushing round Cyprus - attracted by a tax haven with the highest interest rate in the EZ.

By the way, it seems to me that it was the Cyprus Government that wanted to protect the "rich" (over €100k) by taxing the "poor" (under £100k all the way down to under €10). It was the EZ csars who said "No!" to this We take the opposite approach in the UK - the poor have to pay to protect the rich. Which is fairer?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf