Author Topic: The Chaotic Queue System  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
The Chaotic Queue System
« on: August 14, 2013, 16:34:13 PM »
Every month a sort of Admin day raises its head, our little "To Do" list reaches a point where the inevitable trip to Fethiye is called for. Today was such a day, everything from hair bobbles to broken sun glasses and birthday cards were on the list along with SGK payment, a list of questions for our personal banker and to grab some cash from a cash point. Everything that wasn't associated with a bank went smoothly whereas anything bank related was a nightmare !

We sat waiting our turn to see our account adviser who today is sat at a desk in the main bank area due to building works being carried out on the upper floors of the bank, hence no number system was in place which equalled complete chaos. Turkish people have many nice redeeming features but I'm afraid that forming an orderly queue isn't one of them. People came from left right and centre trying to be seen, they pulled up chairs next to her desk and one guy even phoned her mobile number while stood in the branch. Even when we finally joined them at their own game and camped out in front of her desk, a rather elderly gentleman who had already taken 40 minutes of her time and was packing up to leave, then decided he wanted to be shown how computer banking worked, at this point I was holding Chris down.

Anyway, over to the bank to pay our SGK and hey presto, a numbering system was in place, 67 was up on the board and I was 73. Not bad I thought but how wrong I was proved to be. The display board then started calling 3 digit numbers, people would sit with a personal banker and carry out transactions that were designed to be done at the till, the personal banker would then give them a magic number which was always called next and off they went to the teller in front of us all sitting and waiting patiently.
The third sort were those who didn't bother with numbers, they simply stood hovering at the counter waiting for someone to be dealt with and then quick as a flash they jump in front of the clerk and guess what, each and everyone of them were dealt with.

Finally, off to get some cash from a cashpoint, but here they're not just cash points, people feed more money into them than they take out, obviously paying bills but this type of transaction must have the most complicated menu structure in the world as people spent up to five minutes reading the screen, waited for mobile phones to text security numbers which then required entering at certain points, then they take out a purse or wallet as it seemed to come as some kind of unexpected step that being there to pay your electric or phone bill would require you to have some cash available, then it was the inevitable asking others in the queue if they had change of a 50 before they fed the machine, then started all over again!

They do a lot of things well here but organisation over banking transactions ain't one of them !

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: The Chaotic Queue System
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 16:59:37 PM »
Why don't you open a branch of the Bank Of Rimms there ?  I'm sure you'll get lots of interest.  ;)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 17:11:11 PM »
Whilst understanding exactly what you mean I really hope that getting that off of your chest has helped   ;)  ;)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 17:18:56 PM »
dare you mention the bank

Offline tonysue

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 17:28:28 PM »
ahh the bank. my favourite thing to do. I now have 3 accounts at 3 banks and everyone a nightmare. :'(

Offline Somerset Simon

The Chaotic Queue System
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 17:28:56 PM »
Think we have all been there (if it was Garanti), the only upside is trying to match people with their waiting number as the lower the first number, the richer and more important they are! Game loses it fun after 30 mins tho!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 18:07:35 PM »
Flashbacks

I need a drink

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 19:01:53 PM »
We had the same in Fortis he other week. We had our account number and passports but because our branch was in another street they had to take copies and fax them to the other branch before they would let us have any of our money.

Number system sort of worked but a couple of guys jumped in when they saw a gap in our conversation with the teller. We ended up with a lock in - shame it wasn't a bar  ;)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 19:14:40 PM »
For various reasons our joint accounts are "either or" to sign.  The main reason being that as I have a lot more patience my husband has NEVER to go near the bank. 

He obviously came to open the accounts, I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown after about the two hours it took to open them.  Came out of the bank and straight across the road to Zakuum.  Poor dear needed to calm his nerves with a refreshment or two!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 19:19:35 PM »
We had waited in Deniz Bank once for two hours (it wasn't even my bank, I was collecting a customer payment!) and when finally getting served the girl went off out the back, we assumed to get something. 20 minutes later we asked how long she would be. "40 minutes, she went to lunch"!!!

I miss it so much.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf