Author Topic: Is "survival football" attractive?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Is "survival football" attractive?
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
Following on from what looks like the beginning of the end for Big Sam it is worth asking the question - would you prefer to struggle in the the Premiership or win more in the Championship?

I watched Oldham Athletic for 10 years and the first 5 were all about progress and winning many many more games than we lost. Great fun - attractive football etc. Then 3 seasons in the first tier which were a real struggle and we usually got a battering every week. I went to almost every game and the disappointment driving back from Highbury and the like on a wet Tuesday evening after defending for 90% of the game but still losing by one goal was awful and repeated week after week!

I know a young man who is a Burnley fan and he told me 6 months ago - we will come up and I am now telling him you will come straight back down again! His response is yeah but we have no expectations of staying up!

So do Sunderland, Hull, Palace, West Brom, Norwich, Cardiff, Stoke, West Ham supporters enjoy being in the Prem???

Offline steve marshall

• Hull, UK
Re: Is "survival football" attractive?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »
as a CITY HULL fan, here are my views about being in the prem..( for what they are worth ;-)
positive points
being able to attract better players to the club
watching your team play against the best players / teams in the country
visiting the finest stadiums in the country
raising the city of hull profile worldwide
the general feel good factor
seeing more city hull shirts / colours around the city..( instead of the 4 big clubs )
being yorkshires number 1 ;-)

negative points
the season ticket prices / matchday ticket prices
difficulty in obtaining tickets for the "big games" home and away !
the bias towards the bigger clubs from tv / sky / referees / f.a ..etc
missing the yorkshire derby games ( hehehe )

my only wish now is a cup final ( hopefully beating the blades in the semi )...THEN A EUROPEAN ADVENTURE !!!  :-)

overall...enjoying the adventure,,not really bothered what division we are in.....SILVERWARE,WE DONT CARE,,WILL FOLLOW HULL CITY EVERYWHERE......;-)

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »
Why are you including Stoke in that list? The last time I looked they had just beaten Aston Villa away and were in the top half of the table - hardly relegation fodder?

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
Because for most the 5 years they have been in the a premiership they have played football that most people wouldn't want to watch week in week out - effective but very unattractive.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 18:16:20 PM »
You've changed your goalposts - pun intended.

Your original question was "would you prefer to struggle in the the Premiership or win more in the Championship? but now you've changed it to "Do you prefer to watch attractive football or not?" Make your mind up and then maybe we can give you our opinions on the subject of your choice.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 19:10:21 PM »
Yes but they are a conundrum because they still play survival football probably because the last 4 seasons they finished 11th - 13th - 14th - 13th which in my book means they have consistently strived to survive :-)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 19:32:32 PM »
Ask all the Man U fans for an answer to your question :D

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 19:47:55 PM »
If they were in the bottom 6 - I would seriously see them going down !

Apparently tomorrow some supporters have paid for a plane to fly over the ground BEFORE the game with a banner saying "The Wrong One" as opposed to "The Chosen One" which I think is a bit unfair

Offline FrankStanley

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 23:35:43 PM »
Used to struggle most seasons at Sunderland, but we keep fighting! Been to Wembley this season and quarter finals of FA Cup, better than other teams. If we are relegated, then we will fight again, till then there is always hope.  (Howay the lads)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 06:42:31 AM »
Ask the real yoyo club Palace fans - who in recent years went through two relegation battles from the Championship, receivership and change of ownership - who play Chelski today is it attractive and indeed worth it.  I think the answer would be a big yes, even with the downs, there's the ups, all the passions of football, not just the sensation of consistently winning, or even the performances that are bad but fought with a passion, and usually by a parade of different players who feed through to the bigger clubs or are sold on because of cash restraints.  I know cos I live with one, the Present Mrs Tickets.  Former Palace Dolly Girl, Season Ticket Holder and member of an extended family of Palace supporters who go to all the home games and some to the away games too.  As Andy Gray would say take a boo son, take a boo!!  ;)  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf