Author Topic: Phishing warning !  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Susiepink

Phishing warning !
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
I am currently trying to reclaim some income tax from HMRC, due to the fact that I retired last September, I'm expecting to get around £700 back. I sent all the forms back hard copy a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I received an email telling me that there is a refund due to me of £223, to open the attached form and fill in all my details in order for them to process the refund. The only reason I didn't do that was because I was miffed it wasn't enough, and I needed to talk to them and ask how on earth they figured they only owed me such a small amount. I had to wait until this morning to call and speak to someone, and having called them just now it turns out they haven't even processed my forms yet, and it's a phishing e mail. It didn't strike me at all odd, it looked very official, all the HMRC details correct, and how would anyone know I'm currently chasing them for a refund ??? Be aware...

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Phishing warning !
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:46:53 AM »

A timely warning for people who don't know.
This scam has been going on for a number of years and there have been previous warnings on CBF.  I have had quite a few of these emails.  In fact, HMRC have an email address on their website so you can post the phishing mails on to them for investigation.  This is the page with details of how to send on details to HMRC.   I always keep the address in my favourites.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/reporting.htm
I also always copy and paste the properties so the HMRC know where the mail is really coming from.
Hope you get your refund soon.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
I've also had quite a few recently entitled something along the lines of 'Notification of Court Appearance' or 'Notification of Witness Summons' and similar.

These things can look so official, it's not difficult to understand how some people are drawn in - and especially when it's something relevant/possible to something ongoing as with you, Susie.  :(

Offline keng38

• Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 17:50:08 PM »
Just remember ANYTHING tax related will only come via the post.
Tax rebates, paye, working tax credits etc etc

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 18:35:28 PM »
You need to forward these spam and phishing emails to the organisations that they purport to come from. If you don't, they won't realise the scale of the problem and won't do anything to clamp down on it.

You can Google the email address for reporting these incidents for most organisations.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 19:29:26 PM »
I have already given the details for HMRC which if clicked into, gives the email address to forward phishing emails too.

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 20:06:49 PM »
Yes ive forwarded them to relevant department! I had no idea that such things were happening,  ive had things from banks and credit card companies but never HMRC, it threw me because I am actually expecting a refund from them!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 21:03:32 PM »
 Try to keep up KKOB or you might have stay after school !   ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 21:33:44 PM »
Scorcher, I don't just mean for the HMRC ones that Her Maj is on about. ALL organisations need to be informed about phishing attempts.

Now, please write 100 times:

"I must not try to get one over on KKOB just because he's better looking than me"

;)

Offline scorcher

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 21:53:48 PM »
  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf