Author Topic: any new crime thrillers recommends ebooks  (Read 11075 times)

Offline tonysue

any new crime thrillers recommends ebooks
« on: August 27, 2014, 16:47:18 PM »
What have you enjoyed reading this summer.? Looking to load up my nook and maybe swap a few ebooks. Hubby has lotd of new stuff on his kindle but all drm protected and I still dont know how to break them. Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: any new crime thrillers recommends ebooks
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 16:56:17 PM »
Not new as books but newly available on Kindle: George Simenon's brilliant "Maigret" series. I am going to read them chronologically in order of their publication. On the second one now. I an share. Would be pleased if anyone can fill the gaps in the series.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 16:59:36 PM »
Anything by Karen Rose and the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson - brilliant read. Sadly he died unexpectedly after completing the trilogy. Must be read in order.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 17:07:01 PM »
Would be pleased if anyone can fill the gaps in the series.

Would epub format be ok?

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 17:07:52 PM »
I read a very good kindle book called "A commonplace killing" by Sian Busby.   Sian was the wife of Robert Peston the BBC  Political Editor.  She died of cancer just before she finished the book, but had all the notes for the end, so Robert finished if from her notes.  He tells you all about her at the beginning of the story. 
Story is set just after the war and the atmosphere she creates is so good.  It tells of a murdered woman and then the detective story starts.  I thoroughly enjoyed the read and am so sorry Sian will not be writing more books.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 17:12:02 PM »
Have you read anything by Linwood Barclay, I defy you to work it out before the end!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 17:13:28 PM »
Hubby has lotd of new stuff on his kindle but all drm protected and I still dont know how to break them. Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

On the basis that you merely wish to make backup copies of books you've already purchased, and not for you to distribute to all and sundry, try using Calibre Book Management software and one the plug ins for it:

How to Strip the DRM from Your Kindle Ebooks for Cross-Device Enjoyment and Archiving

Book piracy is bad and never condoned on CBF  ;)

JF

Offline suehugh

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 18:54:11 PM »
Anything by Jo Nesbo, a Scandinavian writer. Also by another female writer from Iceland  yrsa sigurdardottir.
Best read in a warm climate to offset the sheer icy feeling emanating rom the pages

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 20:44:09 PM »
I just cant get enough of Ruth Rendell, whether its the Inspector Wexford novels or her other psychological novels, all available on Amazon and now on my Kindle.

Offline patrice

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 21:05:26 PM »
Anything by Karen Rose and the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson - brilliant read. Sadly he died unexpectedly after completing the trilogy. Must be read in order.

Totally agree with you nichola 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf