Author Topic: Any android gurus out there?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Any android gurus out there?
« on: October 19, 2014, 22:40:30 PM »
I have a tablet running android Kit Kat and I can't read or write to the sd card.
I have searched the web and from what I can gather this is normal as kit kat stopped the facility to use the sd card. If that is the case then my tablet memory is almost full. Have I got it wrong or does anyone know of a work around.
Thanks

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Any android gurus out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 00:43:39 AM »
Try this:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geeksoft.extcardpatch&hl=en

You'll need to "root" your tablet, if not already done.

JF

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:51:57 AM »
I thought that 'Rooting' your device invalidates the G'tee.
I use this app for my SD card on my Nexus 7
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en_GB
 :D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:51:44 AM »
SD card?  The Nexus series don't have the facility to use an SD card, only expansion via USB, which in the main is unaffected by this problem.

This issue is the result of Google changing how Android works with those devices that have the ability to expand the internal storage by way of an SD card.  It mainly affects those who updated to Android 4.4 from earlier versions. 

Its all to do with "file permissions" - Google now only allow apps read & write access to files and folders the app itself has created (for security reasons). They can read data on the card, but cannot make any changes.  This means any apps you've "moved to SD card" to save internal memory are unlikely to work.

The developer community are aware of the issue and its hoped that a fix may be issued by way of an OS update, although no one is holding their breath.

Yes, rooting a device generally invalidates any warranty - but for those with older devices that want to use an SD card they way they did before its the only option (as far as I'm aware).

JF

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 19:48:27 PM »
Thanks guys I now need to look up rooting.
This is only 6 months old not sure I want to chuck the warranty in.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf