Author Topic: Pre Paid Cards  (Read 5101 times)

Offline jondo

Pre Paid Cards
« on: April 27, 2015, 17:25:32 PM »
Has anybody had experience of these in Turkey, Fethiye specifically? (A Forum search revealed little on the subject).

What is the best one for Turkey?
What are the withdrawal charges and limits?
Can Sterling be withdrawn if it is loaded with Sterling?
If TL are withdrawn what are the exchange costs?

Your replies are awaited eagerly!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Pre Paid Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 17:34:49 PM »
I don't know why you want one of these rather than a debit or credit card and I have never used one. But here is a general discussion of their relevance and use (quite brief!).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards

Offline jondo

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 17:48:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Colwyn. Yes, I'd read the MSE piece but Martin Lewis, like you, doesn't seem convinced either. My reasons are as back up instead of T Cheques. But charges and exchange rates seem to get in the way, as far as my research reveals, which makes them no more attractive than a debit or credit card. Unless someone knows different!

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 17:52:17 PM »
I have heard that if you load it with more than u use u loose it as there is a time limit. I would guess it will be a bad rate of exchange as well. dont know how accurate this is.

Offline jondo

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
Thanks Saga, I see it that way too, so I am reaching the conclusion that they are only suitable in limited situations. It looks like T Cheques again!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
What advantage do you find from T Cheques?

Offline jondo

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
Just a simple back up in case of loss or theft of cards, or banking crisis - technical, or otherwise. Always handy to know you could afford to eat and get to the airport. But, you know this, Colwyn, I haven't any other pearls to share!

Offline Pussinboots

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 11:32:11 AM »
In the case of Loss of Credit Cards and or Cash then your insurance (providing you are well insured) will cover you for loss and expenses incurred ( 24 hour worldwide emergency travel service), and, if you are in the position where you don't have a Lira to your name will make available at a nearby bank or Western Union some cash and also pay/guarantee any hotel/travel bills/ to get you home.

If your Credit Cards are stolen then the sooner you tell the Card Company the sooner they can cancel the card and avoid any fraudulent use.  Keep your card number/Account details separate so you have them to hand as well as your list of emergency Phone numbers to call in the UK. .  I keep a copy along with a copy of my Passport in a folder on my email address which I can access anywhere should I need it. You could also hide a hard copy inside the lining of your case as well. 

Offline jondo

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »
Thanks, I know this and I'd do all that but I'd also continue to enjoy my holiday without having to communicate desperately with insurance and card issuers for replacement cards, apart from informing to seal fraudulent use.

Thanks to all for their contributions.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 16:09:23 PM »
Jondo, I haven't used T. Cheques for maybe 25+ years but some people are issuing warnings about Greek banks running out of money and I am going to Greece in September.

[Edit: I think I should correct that so as not to cause even more alarm than due. It is not that the banks will run out money (in its general sense) which is mostly a swirl of electrons these days (though that could happen). It is that there may be a "run" on cash as people try to withdraw as much of the folding stuff as they can. The banks are then likely to limit the amount of withdrawal per day and to help this they could shut down the ATMs.]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 17:25:02 PM by Colwyn »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf