Author Topic: Travelex smartphone app: Better exchange rates but beware.  (Read 1754 times)

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
Travelex smartphone app: Better exchange rates but beware.
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »
I normally use my Halifax Clarity Card to get my cash in Turkey. This is by far the most convenient method for me and the real costs are minimal.

But with the recent higher Lira exchange rate I decided to order some currency beforehand to hedge against a sudden drop in the rate.

The Travelex smartphone app is offering higher exchange rates that normal. I got 4.2265 when the spot rate was approx 4.33. It's comfortably above the normal Travelex online rate and by far the best rate you'll get for delivery generally. Under normal circumstances I'd recommend it, assuming you want to get currency before you go.

When my money arrived, though, I had a surprising number of notes. The delivery note said 86 x 10 Lira (86 x £2.30ish!), 32 x 20 lira, just 9 x 50 lira and 2 x 100 lira (total 2150). Mostly what I'd describe as shrapnel and pretty inconvenient - I'd prefer mainly 50s and 100s - certainly not that many 10s

However, the 9 x 50 lira (~£106) were MISSING from the package and also in there was another random delivery note for a Mrs Gxxxx from Aylesbury! (Data Protection, anyone?) Her order was for a similar amount (she only got 4.12 though - must have ordered online ;-)  )

They've agreed to refund the amount in sterling back to my payment card ("2-10 working days" ;), but offered no apology for the mistake or the time it took for me to sort out - but hey-ho.

So a warning: if you get some currency from these people (or any other I suppose) Check and double-check it!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf