Author Topic: Britain to implement the same Electronic Ban on Flights as U.S.A.  (Read 30121 times)

Offline Christie

Re: Britain to implement the same Electronic Ban on Flights as U.S.A.
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 15:11:50 PM »
I wonder, if you put a laptop or tablet in your case and it was damaged, which I would imagine is very likely seeing the way suitcases are thrown around BT the baggage handlers, whether insurance companies would pay up ?

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 16:29:57 PM »
At the moment such items are not covered under a standard policy.

Offline sadler

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 17:07:58 PM »
I think that we Will see a flourishing market emerging in the sale of second hand laptops, tablets and cameras too!

Offline daveG

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 22:07:58 PM »
Yes John it was airside on both occasions actually at the gate,needless to say although security wise understandable, after waiting/queuing and then finding that being almost the last on the plane, cabin locker was YOK!! At Antalya after spending 30mins at the gate everyone was moved out of waiting area to enable a further security cordon to be  erected ,only then to be waived through without us being checked. Although there was some stopped.

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
Copied this comment I saw on Facebook which might be of use to some of you.  Will be interesting to see if other airlines follow suit...........
''Good for Turkish airlines who have found a way round the electronics ban. Quote from Sky news:- ''People who are not comfortable seeing their electronic devices checked in their luggage will be able to use them in the lounge and then hand their devices to Turkish Airlines officials at the boarding gate.
The officials will tag the devices and put them in a special secure cargo area.
The special cargo containing the devices will be handled at the arrival destination by authorised airline personnel and distributed at the luggage reclaim area to owners providing their tags.''

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
I see a lot of problems with this move.  There could be 100 ipads or computers.  Will they be wrapped and packed in the hold? Or will they all be packed together in one big container with no protection? Also will everyone get their electronic item back back in good condition or perhaps not get their item back at all.   If this happens, will the item be covered by insurance?
I saw the recent youtube video on F.B and watched the baggage handlers throwing suitcases around. I wonder would said baggage handlers be careful with a container of electronic equipment?   :(  ;)

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 13:40:53 PM »
I usually travel with hand luggage only but always book the extra legroom seats on EasyJet so that I can take my laptop on board as a separate item. I use the laptop for checking my emails and watching TV and films. 

Does the electronic ban include things like an Amazon Firestick? If not I'll be able to watch TV and films via the Firestick and use my iphone for emails.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2017, 13:50:03 PM »
But what would you be plugging the Firestick into?

If phone space is an issue you can add a 64/128Gb micro SD card to one of these and fill it with films etc and plug into your iPhone: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/PC-Accessories/Lexar/Lexar-Micro-SD-to-Lightning-Card-Reader

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 14:13:56 PM »
Ah!! You mean when you get there, not on the flight  :)

Fire sticks are fine.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 15:11:39 PM »
A reporter for Sky news was reporting from Manchester airport today.  He said any tablet bigger than 7" was not acceptable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf