Author Topic: Reverse Parking Policy  (Read 4344 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Reverse Parking Policy
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
My employers have recently introduced a Reverse Parking Policy on site. Anyone parking in the company's car park must reverse their vehicle into a parking space.  When the H&S Manager was challenged about this policy he could offer no clear evidence that it was a safer method of parking and could only reiterate that it was "Company Policy". As the Security Supervisor I, and my team, are charged with recording the details of vehicle owners not complying and anyone ignoring this edict could be subject to disciplinary action.

Anyone else work for a company with this policy ? Any views ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Reverse Parking Policy
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 13:00:13 PM »
It's common in many companies up here and nearly all in safety obsessed Aberdeen. I understand the idea is that in an emergency it is more orderly for people (who may be in a bit of panic/haste) to drive out straight forwards and not be reversing at/into each other supermarket style.

I'm not a huge fan of the H&S culture but to me this one makes some sense.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 14:07:19 PM »
Just one of the downsides is that all the cars are reverse parked outside the offices. When the shifts change all the exhausts are facing the windows, which in this weather are invariably open. Very H&S.   ;)

In an emergency all employees are supposed to gather at the Fire Rendezvous Points for rollcall. I can't imagine there's going to be a LeMans Start.

Offline Ally B

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 14:16:18 PM »
I tend to find if you are reversing out of a parking place like in a supermarket people see you reversing and walk across your path, but if you are driving out and you can see them they stop and wait,surely it should be the other way round.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 14:34:10 PM »
I've noticed this actually works where the parking spaces are on the left and angled, ////// so when you drive out you're practically almost straight onto the road. Reversing into these is easy,  but to park nose first at that angle would be more difficult.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 14:35:36 PM »
And if you reverse in you may find someone parks right up behind you and you can't get to your boot :o

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 14:39:04 PM »
And if you reverse in you may find someone parks right up behind you and you can't get to your boot :o

Or, in the case of supermarkets, you can't get the trolley down between 2 cars to get to your boot.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 14:40:10 PM »
I tend to find if you are reversing out of a parking place like in a supermarket people see you reversing and walk across your path, but if you are driving out and you can see them they stop and wait,surely it should be the other way round.

But the same applies if you try to reverse into a space, doesn't it ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 17:14:03 PM »
We have reverse parking in lots of Council Car Parks in Aberdeenshire and also in one of the private Hospitals. Many of the Oil Companies have it.   It is suppose to make it easy to leave the car park in an emergency. 
It is not a problem as far as I can see.
I had a friend, when I lived in Fife and she could not reverse at all and one day we went to the big Shopping Centre in the town in her car.   She had to drive around and around until she found a space she could drive right throught so she did not have to reverse.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 17:36:04 PM »

I had a friend, when I lived in Fife and she could not reverse at all and one day we went to the big Shopping Centre in the town in her car.   She had to drive around and around until she found a space she could drive right throught so she did not have to reverse.

Yep. We've all got a friend or colleague like that.

I had an employee once who couldn't take right turns.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf