Author Topic: Visiting Istanbul  (Read 4502 times)

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
Visiting Istanbul
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
Planning 4 nights in Istanbul later this month.
Can anyone recommend hotels & places to visit?
Also, if staying central is it best to fly into/out of Ataturk or Sabiha airport.
Thanks, and happy new year

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Visiting Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 13:07:28 PM »
Ataturk Airport is connected to central Istanbul by public transport. Get the Metro to Zeytinburnu, walk across the platform to another line for a tram that takes you to Sultanahmet (Aga Sofya, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and hotels) or on to Kabatas (funicular up to Istiklal - pedestrian street leading up to Taxim Square and lots more hotels).

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 13:29:49 PM »
Use the forum search for hotels, there's been several mentioned - personally, I'd go for the Sirkeci area as it's close to the ferry terminal at Emininou and an easy walk to the Grand Bazaar, Egyptian Market, Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia etc.  Its also got a tram stop for when venturing over to Besiktas, Taksim (change at Kabatas for the Taksim funicular) Ortakoy etc.

Ataturk is the most straightforward for getting into town.  As Colwyn says, metro to Zeytinburnu and then you're on the tram line which has a couple of stops that make it easy to get to the hotels in the Sirkeci area.

Get an Istanbulkart which is valid for all public transport - you can get one at Ataturk Metro station and use it travelling in to town.  Makes it easier than buying jetons and works out cheaper as well.

JF

Offline thebillet

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:35:16 PM »
Buy a museum pass, I think you can get one in Fethiye Museum at the same rate as locals if you have residency, it certainly makes costs lower. Details of what types are available https://turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Sights/museum_pass.html .

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 16:28:06 PM »
Personally I prefer to stay in Sultanahmet which is within walking distance of most of the main places people usually want to visit as mentioned by John but closer   :)

Also there is a bar and restaurant street in Sultanahmet which offers plenty of choice and alcohol not necessarily found further afield.

I always stay here http://www.hotelpeninsula.com/ and have done for years; prices are per room, no single person supplement, reasonable prices for the location and a better rate for airport transfers than some of the other local hotels.

It's practically on the bar and restaurant street so no need to walk far at night after a days sightseeing. It's not 5 star but I like it and they do a very nice breakfast included in the price of course.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 16:51:42 PM »
The last time we were in Istanbul we stopped at the Hotel Tashkonak. Really good value for money and excellent views from the terrace at breakfast.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293974-d305651-Reviews-Tashkonak_Hotel-Istanbul.html

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 18:03:04 PM »
That looks nice KKOB and in Sultanahmet too...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 18:32:00 PM »
Personally I prefer to stay in Sultanahmet which is within walking distance of most of the main places people usually want to visit as mentioned by John but closer    :)

Yeah, but it's full of tourists   ;)   

JF

Offline davybill

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
Yeah mostly Spanish, HAHA.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
These days more Arabic visitors to the city...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf