Author Topic: Do you give to Comic Relief ?  (Read 884 times)

Offline maximumtom

Do you give to Comic Relief ?
« on: September 20, 2011, 15:07:42 PM »
I was looking at a story in the Guardian online. Here is the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/sep/20/uk-deport-nigerian-european-court

The headline was:

UK cannot deport Nigerian man convicted of rape, European court rules

In the article it said:
"Welcoming the decision, the Aire Centre, the legal centre which took the case to the European court of human rights, described it as a "resounding victory""

I wondered who the Aire Centre was, so I looked at their internet site

Going through the tabs on the site: 'Who We Are' and 'Our Supporters' , I discovered that Comic Relief is amongst their supporters.

So, when you give something to Comic Relief, you are helping a Nigerian rapist stay in the UK.
It is a bit like voting for MPs; the party you prefer usually does some things that you are dead against. I tend to give to very specific charities to avoid this sort of thing.

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
I never give to the big charities anymore, the amount of money they waste on non good causes is astounding. This came to light for me back in the 80's when the largest Cancer charity in the UK at the time decided to change their logo at a cost of 3.5 Million pounds (they have changed it again since)!!! When you watch the extrodinary fete's of charity work carried out by the public to raise money for these charities to then see these orginaisations waste it on a new logo or buying high tech charity offices (leaving the lights on all night) and high salaries then you have to question what their priorities really are!They publish their accounts read these for a real insight some charities spend 1/3 or even less on their actual causes and the rest on their running costs you will be amazed at the names of these charities.

Offline ceni

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
Quite right Lance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf