Author Topic: too long!  (Read 9914 times)

Offline suzi Q

too long!
« on: August 29, 2010, 16:48:18 PM »
After spending a month in Calis I feel I have to make a comment about Bostons Restaurant.
We tried most of the restaurants on the front all very nice no problems but waiting over an hour in between courses was a bit beyond belief.
Had a drink, ordered food nothing extra special just spag bol, first course came after 20mins, not a problem then we waited for second course after 50 mins ask the waiter was it likely to be much longer he just laughed and walked off. After getting the attention of another waiter we asked again he said 5 mins, after another 15mins and getting rather past eating the meal it arrived!  As soon as it came up we requested the bill then paid for it and left without eating.
didn't eat in there again.
They knew we was annoyed and reduced the bill by 20 tyl but we paid nearly the full amount anyway. There was no apologies. Money wasn't the issue! We sat to see the sunset 7.30-7.45pm and left at 9.50pm and only had starters and a drinks.
was wondering if perhaps the gas bottle run out or had to go to Italy for the spaghetti! :D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 18:00:01 PM »
In our experience this used to happen more often in the past. I don't know if you ordered more drinks Suzi, but this is clearly what the restaurant was hoping for.

It is always a difficult situation, I would be for walking out but Mrs H is much more tolerant, so we would probably have stayed.

Again it's difficult, but paying the nearly the full amount will have taught the restaurant no lessons. If I was going to pay I would have eaten that's for sure.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 18:07:31 PM »
But once again, why is it so impossible to get an apology? It is the profession of the waiters to wait on tables so nobody should be more experienced in working out that this simply isn't acceptable. As for "5 minutes", let me tell anyone new to Turkey that it translates as "I have no idea how long [something] will take and I can't be bothered to find out". Still, that is no worse than laughing and walking away. One thing is for certain, in the 200+ situations I have experienced in Turkey where the answer given is 5 minutes, the actual outcome has never once been even close to 5 minutes.

Offline julesbob0303

too long!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 18:29:37 PM »
We found Calis to be VERY busy this year, and had to wait far too long in a few restaurants, which is unusual.

Our 18 year old daughter flew out to join us for a week, and she just loves the Roka.  We've never had any problems and have eaten there many times (it's close to our apartment).  As it was her first night, we went there - it wasn't particularly busy, though there was a largish party booked in later.  Our meals were so slow, we all lost the urge to eat, having had a couple of beers, which killed our appetite.  My daughter's pasta was barely enough to feed a young child, let alone an adult, and the starters were almost non-existent for six of us!  We didn't complain, as we love the restaurant, and this really is very unusual in our opinion.

This happened to us in two or three other places during our holiday, always when we had family with us, and after we had praised up the restaurant beforehand!!!

Offline Julesp

too long!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 18:53:35 PM »
Incosistency in many restaurants is a problem How many of us have praised the food and service of so may places to find people go on our recommendations and experience an off day?

Offline freddoc

too long!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 20:04:53 PM »
Overall I would still recommend Bostans, although we did wait an hour for a pancake.
The waitors kept saying 5 minutes, but eventually said sorry no pancake.
It was the end of the night so not too bad, we did buy a few extra drinks...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 20:11:53 PM »
Maybe the waiters and chef could be introduced to each other

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 20:29:21 PM »
With that sort of recommendation Fred, we won't be in a hurry to go in. :(

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 23:17:12 PM »
One hour for a pancake? Blo ody hell was the chicken on strike?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 23:34:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

With that sort of recommendation Fred, we won't be in a hurry to go in. :(

Can only agree H, I am not anti-Bostans at all (seriously!) but that is one of the worst comments about restaurant service I have ever read (and I've read tons). To be palmed off again and again for an hour, then to be told they won't be making it at all is absolutely disgraceful and unforgivable. Coupled with the original post about the spaghetti bolognese that took an hour to arrive there does appear to be something seriously wrong at this restaurant. At least that eventually appeared I suppose.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf