Author Topic: Why do some restaurant owners do this.  (Read 2387 times)

Offline daveG

Why do some restaurant owners do this.
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
Having visited a certain restaurant for the last seven years in Fethiye (seen it grow to twice its size, with the additional funding from new owners)This had become our comfort zone.Somewhere to enjoy a chi/soft drink/coffee through the day and a glass of wine in the evening.All the waiters become friends and then..Having eaten elsewhere (in the backstreets)was seen later that evening and approached by the owner with one of his menus and through a waiter(who can speak English)translated whats wrong with our food!!
End of what was a comfortable relationship.

Offline peter16

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
Name and Shame time[:(!][:(!][?]

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
Dont they (not all) ever get the fact that people like to try different places, it really makes you feel so uncomfortable to be approached in this manner, we have had it done to us, only to be ignored next time we passed, and its little things like this that can spoil a holiday for you,

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
You have probably spent more on drink than you would have in meals.  Always seems to be the thing that knocks up my bill :-\: :) ;)

Offline artie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 16:28:36 PM »
We spent many a night for years in a restaurant on the front.we brought them bacon and sausage from england every time we went to calis.Then we started doing self catering and eating in a bit more.The owner of the bar just ignores now.

Offline Christie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 18:09:55 PM »
We tend to stick to the same restaurants/bars when we are over but sometimes try new ones.   If a waiter leaves one of the restaurants during the Winter, when we are over in the Summer they expect us to follow them to whichever restaurant they go to.  We have tried explaining to them that we go to the restaurant of our choice for the food etc not for the waiter - but we usually end up getting the cold shoulder from them and they pointedly ignore us.  Then low and behold they return or start working at a restaurant we do use and they are our best friend again !!  Fortunately we have only experienced this attitude with a few waiters.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 18:47:25 PM »
Originally posted by Christie
 - but we usually end up getting the cold shoulder from them and they pointedly ignore us.

Thats understandable if you wear a Man city shirt  8)

See you soon

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 00:11:34 AM »
This seems to me to be the height of bad practice on behalf of the restaurant/bar owners - one sure fire guaranteed way to lose them their customer base and any future recommendation for good.

Slightly off topic I have heard a rumour which I suspect is fairly well founded that many of the barmen in Calis are on commission only - just like the hunters for the tour agencies.

If this is the case then I suspect the "hassle" people will get walking down the street will increase making for more feelings of uncomfortableness and complaints by potential customers.

Offline keith ashby

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:19:06 AM »
Unfortunately most bar owners, and also some waiters base freindship levels on how much you spend. This includes many very popular restaurants, mainly on the front. Generally though the Turkish are very freindly and helpful people, it just takes time to realise who is genuine and who isn't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf