Author Topic: Harem Restaurant  (Read 8753 times)

Offline june

Harem Restaurant
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 06:47:02 AM »
Its one of the few places we have never eaten in all the years we have been going to Calis, but George, yes we know George....and the implants, how many times has he told me about those!!! :)

Offline Christie

Harem Restaurant
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:12 AM »
We have been going to the Harem for the past 3 or 4 years, and like George and Mehmet,  but as mentioned in our earlier post when we were over in June we were disappointed with some of the meals we had there.

Offline hamlettandrews

Harem Restaurant
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 22:33:22 PM »
We have just got back from our first visit to Calis, and whilst the standard of the food and service at all of the restaurants we tried was extremely good, the Harem was our favourite.

The pepper steaks, sword fish and especially the lamb chops were simply gorgeous, and the two or three course set menus were terrific value for money.  We will be going back on our first night next time.

And the views are priceless!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Harem Restaurant
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 22:47:51 PM »
susan hello and welcome to the cbf

Offline Brianbern

Harem Restaurant
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »
I have just returned from an excellent holiday in Calis. My wife and I ate every night at the Harem Restaurant. That totals 46 evening meals and every single meal was prepared and served with the highest standard which is so typical of Mehmet's concern for the enjoyment of his customers. Mehmet has high expectations of the food which is served in his restaurant and would want to know why any customer did not enjoy his or her dining experience. I cannot comment on other restaurants on a first-hand basis in Calis, but I am sure there are many which are of equal standard which will be highlighted by other contributors. But I offer a word of caution when you are  strolling past reading or hearing the offers of free beers or free starters. Which area has been trimmed to entice you with this offer? I trust implicitly in the judgement Mehmet has of the suppliers of the produce delivered to his restaurant and in the preparation of superb meals by his chefs. On speaking to many residents, throughout a long association with Calis, I know that Mehmet Ipar's reputation as a restaurant owner and gentleman is impeccable.
It was with a great deal of sadness that our holiday came to an end but we look forward to our yearly pilgrimage to Calis Cennet (sorry if the spelling is out).

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Harem Restaurant
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »
You may well be right but as it seems you have not eaten anywhere else I do not think you are qualified to pass comment on anywhere else.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Harem Restaurant
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 10:52:38 AM »
Brian, you remind me of my Mum and Dad God rest them. They always loved travelling abroad, however, it did not matter what place they travelled too, they found one restaurant they liked and went there every night.  I remember when I was a kid spending 14 nights in the same place in Barcelona with them, even took the same table.... Much as I love and miss them, I now always try a variety of restaurants when on holiday.

Offline Brianbern

Harem Restaurant
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 11:58:33 AM »
A careful reading of my last post would establish that I have not passed any comment on other restaurants. I merely cautioned against any inducements being offered by other restaurants eg free beer or free starters. During our stay we would frequently go for a stroll along the front before returning to the Harem for a coffee and ice-cream. These offers would only serve to question the quality of the food that lay behind the offer and be confirmed by the lack of clientele in the restaurant.
Anyone holidaying in Calis would only require to read the reports of unfortunate "dining experiences" which are recorded elsewhere in the Forum to appreciate the need to be reassured of the Harem's well-deserved reputation.
My reply to this particular thread was prompted by a previous contributor's experience of the Harem. We spent 23 evenings (30 June-23 July)and were witness to satisfied customers (from the young to the notso).
If you are looking for different places to eat the Forum had an interesting thread concerning 7 favourite restaurants for a 7 day holiday. I have always responded to recommendations made by people I respect and have long given up the gamble of the untried restaurant with "baited bread".

Offline Brianbern

Harem Restaurant
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
Hi Jacqui
I would exercise the same caution were I at home or on holiday. Thanks for the comparison to sounding like your Mum and Dad. I hope that my own children will remember us in the same way. Both my daughters holidayed in Calis this year and like yourself when they travelled with us in the past they ate in the same restaurant. I am sure an overriding desire was to ensure you were safe and they felt the restaurant in which you ate should offer the same standard of quality as they would provide at home.
Whereas my daughters and their boyfriends ate many times at the Harem they sampled other restaurants --all to mixed reviews. They were enticed by freebies but these did not compensate for the quality of food provided. The experience of their first independent holiday in Turkey could have been blighted by their encounter with the con-men and pseudo-friends which all popular resorts harbour. Fortunately, these experiences were countered by the well established friends they have met throughout the years.

Offline chrissy452

Harem Restaurant
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »
We have been going to Calis for 3 years, and like to eat in different places, and always try a new place or two each visit. However, if I had to pick a favourite it would be the Harem. The steaks must be the best in Calis (according to my partner). When we took my teenage boys there this summer they just had starters and the obligatory pizza, so you wouldnt think they would think it much different to anywhere else. However, thought I would ask them where they wanted to go for the last night, and they both said The Harem. Obviously we were happy! I just put it down to the lovely setting, the way you are made to feel so welcome, and the great service. Oh yes, and they had pizzas again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf